• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New lube.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SPG is very good, but one dayum expen$ive lube! Complete wa$te of money for roundball muzzleloading BP loads and our distances shot IMHO ...

And yes, I also shoot original BP cartridge Schuetzen rifles to 600-yards, using SPG lube for those bullets.

FYI, for those interested in numbers, using the prices from online that I had assessed last Fall ... the TOW mink oil cost $0.78 per ounce, whilst the large tub of SPG cost $4.34 per ounce, and where the small tub of SPG costing $4.69 per ounce.

OUCH, that means SPG lube is 5.6 to 6-times the co$t of TOW's mink oil lube, and your own homemade beeswax/olive oil MZL lube is even cheaper!

I don’t think there is one magic lube, or load or style of shooting. You find something you like play with other folks blends and have a barrel of fun doing it. I like mink oil but I can’t say it works better then lard. How ever I like mink oil.
We have to look at the bottom line. We are shooting the worse possible projectile on top of the worse possible propellent ignited by the worse possible system at a close range target sighted on by the worse possible sighting system. Right?

We have to look at the bottom line. We are shooting the worse possible projectile on top of the worse possible propellant ignited by the worse possible system at a close range target sighted on by the worse possible sighting system. Right?

But we're doing it with style. ;-)

We have to look at the bottom line. We are shooting the worse possible projectile on top of the worse possible propellent ignited by the worse possible system at a close range target sighted on by the worse possible sighting system. Right?

But we're doing it with style. ;-)

It's more fun too.

I just tried the beeswax/peanut oil 50/50 mix. came out too hard.heated it up in a round cake pan and added .54 cal t/c maxi's did not stick to the lead bullets. what can I add/do to fix this?

Add more oil, a little beeswax goes a long way. I mix mine the consistency of peanut butter for maxi's I like it a little harder (like ice cream) for patches.
Re-melt the mixture and try again. I would split the batch and take good notes.

Or a double-broiler to keep it away from direct heat. I use a small can inside a larger can that has a few inches of water.

Boiler not Broiler. Darn typos. :eek:

A double boiler is a great idea. I do mine outside where risk of spontaneous ignition and fire don't present a problem.

got some murphy soap tonight.i use a double boiler to do the melting, deep fryer with a 9 inch cake pan in it. tomorrow is our last day of flintlock, will play with it mabe sunday.

got some murphy soap tonight.i use a double boiler to do the melting, deep fryer with a 9 inch cake pan in it. tomorrow is our last day of flintlock, will play with it mabe sunday.
My advice,
Mix a small batch first. and know that murphy's will cause it to foam.

FYI, for those interested in numbers, using the prices from online that I had assessed last Fall ... the TOW mink oil cost $0.78 per ounce, whilst the large tub of SPG cost $4.34 per ounce, and where the small tub of SPG costing $4.69 per ounce.

OUCH, that means SPG lube is 5.6 to 6-times the co$t of TOW's mink oil lube, and your own homemade beeswax/olive oil MZL lube is even cheaper!
For several decades I'd used a patch lube recipe of beeswax + tallow. It was passed on to me from an old guy at my range who had a comprehensive collection of original muzzleloaders passed on from previous family generations. It was authentic & worked just fine provided it was worked well into the patch material & not applied excessively.

A few years ago I read of a "dry lube' recipe from one of our esteemed members that used ballistol dissolved in water, then allowed to dry to evaporate out the water. It worked to practically eliminate fouling.

Based on this I dissolved some old caster oil I had leftover from model airplane engine fuel. Mix castor oil with denatured oil. Dip patches & allow to dry.

My castor oil "dry" patches outperform all other lubes I've tried throughout several decades. Any of the "new" innovations in patch lube don't come close to measuring up & are a waste of my time.

Castor oil is known for special properties.
Especially lubricating at high temps.
It is also vegetable oil and hence perfect for black powder fouling!
It reingned as the top 2stroke oil for decades and for good reason! It took a all sorts of additives to get mineral oils to work in the hostile 2stroke engines environment!

Back