• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Lock Addition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ALL.

For all you early lock enthusiasts, here is a new addition. 1650ish FRENCH Lock. Fowler size roughly equal to a Chamber's size English Fowler lock. Don't believe TRS even offers one this early in a French pattern. Notice the square shaped hammer screw, coffin shaped frizzen, and early style tumbler shape and long sear spring. Very cool. Just a simple polish which should allow it to age to a nice patina. Just thought you guys would like to see it. Comes with a spare set of tempered, fitted springs.

Lock Castings from Chris Hirsch.
Lock Assembly by Paul Ackermann.

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
003 (Medium).JPG
010 (Medium).JPG
011 (Medium).JPG

Great! So many lock makers look at what the other guys offer, and try to duplicate them. It is refreshing to see something different.

In looking at the innards of this French lock, I was wondering the same thing as Rich Pierce. Those notches in the tumbler are mighty deep!

Chris Hirsch also offers some other complete parts sets for locks, including a very attractive Belgian Northwest gun lock. These are raw castings, but it is good to hear that Paul Ackerman will assemble Mr. Hirsch's locks for those of us who don't have the skills.

Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob

Hi guys. Thanks for your replies. Actually, yes, the sear releases well. Better than the photo would lead you to believe. Paul and I had a discussion about this.
We both believe that the notches on the tumbler are shaped the way they are for two reasons. 1 The early form of lock design, still in that somewhat "experimental" era. 2 Probable tumbler wear from usage from the original lock the castings were made from. But it seems to function well, with good sparks.

Now this lock's trying to talk to me .....saying it needs to be mated with a gun. LOL Oh no, another custom gun @#$%^&*

Rick

Wow! That's a perfect lock for that werewolf rifle from a village off the beaten path where the Habitants were disappearing at an alarming rate only to have their mangled bodies discovered days later by the innocent. It speaks of darkened paths between villages under the huge trees lit only by the lamp light of a gibbous moon.

It looks fine, nice to see other new ways backwards lock varients. it was an age of new ideas. I made a 45 rifle 'After' Felix Werder of Zurich, If didn't go with his famous brass barrels. Looks archaic ( only because it is) . but it carries well , bit heavy nearly 6 pounds but fond of it . must get it to post the E stuff if I have problems with it not wired for the E age I fear .
. Rudyard

Greetings,
Nice lock. TRS had/has a French 1650 period lock #691. I put x2 together currently. My only issue with them was that the tumblers were not correct for the lock so I made new tumblers and the correct "tumbler bolt" these early locks still had features of Snaphaunce. I also remade x1 Mainspring and both of the sear springs. It was a fun project. Later,Hank

Attachments

• 20201027_163348.jpg
    20201027_163348.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot_20201101-173702_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201101-173702_Gallery.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot_20201101-173712_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201101-173712_Gallery.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot_20201101-173722_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201101-173722_Gallery.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot_20201101-173729_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201101-173729_Gallery.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 145
A nice and different lock, Rick!
For French, I'd have thought a might earlier..
The tumbler got my attention too, Rick! Pleased it works well.

Treestalker,
Have you been watching "Jabberwocky" again?? :)
The responses I give on the forum often are a psychological defense against the dripping, nameless horrors one encounters in the primordial forests and bay galls of these ancient Ozark hills that newcomers dismiss without realizing the choking evils evident in everyday pursuits of living and dying here. P.S. What the heck is jabberwocky?

Hank,

Lovely work on the locks, but I'd expect that from you! :) Very exacting.

Treestalker,

It was a rather awful film from decades ago;
English of course , LOL!
The "Jabberwocky" was a monster hardly ever seen but the mangled bodies of its victim would be found in and around the woods......in a very chewed up and spit out state!
It was a sort of crude medieval comedy, with Sid James in the cast.
More or less Exactly what You were talking about!

Last edited:
Jabberwocky was a poem by Lewis Carroll (1832- 1898), published in 1871. It was a fantasy poem about the killing of a malevolent creature (the Jabberwock), and the poet used this composition to explore the use of archaic lettering and nonsense words, some of which entered our everyday language (like "galumphing").

The poem is not hard to find, and is well worth reading. Better yet, read it to your kids, or grandchildren. It is a classic of 19th century children's literature, although plenty of adults have enjoyed it over the past century and a half.

Notchy Bob

Jabberwocky was an excellent Terry Gilliam film with a marvellous comedy performance by Harry H. Corbett with Michael Palin playing the central role of Dennis, the apprentice cooper plus the first class interaction of Max Wall and John Le Mesurier as King Bruno the Questionable and Passelewe his Minister.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky_(film)

John,

You know, when I wrote the above, I couldn't remember if it was Sid James or Harry H Corbett sitting with his butt.... Well never mind!... I could "see" both of them in the role.
Thanks for clearing up a foggy memory!! (1977 film)

I had not heard of the film. The best comedy, whether on television or film, comes out of Britain. We here in "the Colonies" don't always know what's out there. Thanks for the reference! Sounds like a couple of Monty Python alumni were among the cast.

Now, back to that monster-slayer of a French lock...

Notchy Bob

Hank: Those pistols and locks are beauties !!! Thanks for posting. Hmmmm.....TRS #691. I must have missed this in their catalog. A few of us like to refer the roughly 1570-1660 period as the "experimental" lock period. LOL
Getting these early locks to function as well as a well tuned Chambers/Siler, etc. appears to be a bit more challenging. The better design/geomotry of the true French flintlock just wasn't there yet.

Rick

Back