• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New kid from Texas with some new kid questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim42

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello from Tucker. As a guy in his 40’s who wants to become a hunter, I’m going to go ahead and apologize in advance for asking a LOT of newbie questions. Though I have done a good bit of fishing and a few bird hunts here and there, I’m really starting from the ground up. I don’t come from a “hunting family” so to speak, but as someone who wants to be more connected to the meat I eat and less connected to factory farming, I am willing to take my time, put in the work, and earn the opportunity to harvest my first animal. I would start with deer for my first “real” hunting experience.

A couple of preliminary questions:
  • Which forum is best to pose questions regarding rifle and optic choice? I assume Firearms, Reloading and Scopes?
  • Which forum is best to inquire about shooting technique and instruction? I am cross-eye dominant, so I’m going to need some instructor led range time, preferably close to Atlanta.
Thank you and I look forward to the journey!

jim

Some folks will put black electrical tape on their glasses so they do not have to close their eye. If you do not wear glasses get a pair of safety glasses and use them with the tape.

Some folks will put black electrical tape on their glasses so they do not have to close their eye. If you do not wear glasses get a pair of safety glasses and use them with the tape.
I think i will need to get a safety glass
Thanks.

Welcome from Oklahoma. Some of your questions are more suited for the sister site, modern muzzleloaders.
This site is for traditional sidelock and flintlock rifle and pistol shooting.

I'd you are cross eye dominant, just get a that matches your dominant eye. My son is right handed and left eye dominant. He shoots a left handed rifle.

And welcome from Waxahachie, Texas.

Rifles.

Since you face some challenges with your dominant eye, you might find someone with an under hammer rifle.

Since the hammer is under the rifle, it does not matter whether you shoot right or left hand. They ambidextrous, rifle does care whether it is shot right or left handed.

Welcome from Minnesota

There have been times in my shooting experiences where I had to block the left lens of my glasses.
Used that blue painting tape, didn't leave as much gluey (sp?) residue behind.

Welcome from Krum, Texas.
Is your home area where the Maverick Cafe is?
I have stopped there a couple of times on my way through for breakfast. Decent food, not so great service though....
Seems there is a fire station nearby too, but not much else....

Back