• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Kentucky Rifle brings home meat!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loja man

50 Cal.
Reaction score
So I finished a Traditions 50 cal Kentucky kit this fall. Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way with fit, finish and powder loads!!
This is the first deer I have brought down with a muzzleloader in 21 years! The last one was a doe I shot with my dads 45 cal Kentucky rifle. He built it while mother and he were living in a log cabin in hills of KY!
Yesterday I was tired of sitting by 10:50. So decided to walk a tree line on the way home. I was on the crest of a hay filed with tree line on my right. Tree line is only about 10’ deep. Down hill from thier the hillside is covered with brush and briers. At the bottom of the hill is another tree line then a creek. With wooded hillside opposite. Almost at the end of the tree line another hill ends and creates a steep draw. The draw is wooded.
So I spotted the back two thirds of a deer in the draw. It’s front quarter and head were behind two trees. I ditched my extra gear and managed to crawl behind bushes another 20 yards closer. At this point I was able to peek over the bushes and spiders head with a nice rack on the other side of the trees. But because I’d come closer I no longer had any shot at the body. Decided to try and keep moving a little closer. Made another 5 yards when I heard it takeoff running. I popped up rifle at the ready and tracked it’s run through the woods parallel to me. It cleared the woods into an open field and stop broadside to me at about 45 yards. Looking back the way it had come with its head and neck up against its body on my side. Its body was still partially covered by a tree so I had to lean far left to take my shot. Due to its head and neck covering much of the vitals I aimed at the tip of its nose. Shot went true!! Clipped its bottom jaw then throught the ribs, into the lungs, throught the opposite ribs and stoped up against far side hide. It ran out of sight and crumpled about 120 yards from place of shot!!
Happy day!! Feeling very blessed!!
5262F900-3CBA-4389-A60F-1BDC2FCE4E92.jpeg
303DDA26-15A0-48F7-B392-3584EFF273DC.jpeg

Wonderful buck and beautiful rifle! Okay now, you aren't actually able to hunt in just jeans and a flannel shirt are you (asks the guy who normally has to wear 3 layers of fleece, goretex and pack boots)?

Loja. Great story and what a nice buck! I have to say that I think that is one of the nicest looking Traditions kit completions I've seen and clearly it can shoot. A lot to be proud of and congratulations! :thumb:
Thanks! I had lots of good advice on the build!!

Wonderful buck and beautiful rifle! Okay now, you aren't actually able to hunt in just jeans and a flannel shirt are you (asks the guy who normally has to wear 3 layers of fleece, goretex and pack boots)?
LOL!! No I wasn’t hunting in that outfit yet it was a warm day. I think the low that morning was 46. Lots of wind though. I was hunting a neighbors farm. So I went home 30 min after the shot to eat and change out of my layers. Then went back out to look for him.

Everything about this is just great. Nice rifle and nice buck. I’m tickled for you bud.

Getting this buck takes some pressure of me now! I’m out camping and hunting now with my father, brother and 12 y old son. It’s a primitive weapons only part of a national forest. We will be here till Sunday. So I can chill a little and focus on my son bringing something home! His first hunt with muzzleloader as one of the big boys!
Congratulations Loja man!!! That smile speaks volumes....
I may have a bit of a goofy grin!:)

Back