• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New interest in FDC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently have been looking into Fusil de Chasse. Not a builder so would need a completed gun. Saw several in my web searches. I would use it for hunting. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I love mine. Had forgotten how much. It had been put away for a few years in need of repairs I wasn't confident of making. I ran with my Smoothrifle as it is functional and the rear sight fits my shooting style, and limited practice time better.
I recently made most of the repairs on the FdC and added a very small brass rear sight. Have taken it for a couple walks in the woods. She carries and handles so much better than my Smoothrifle. Lighter and faster.

I have not had the cheek slap issues some complain of with this stock shape.

If I can get someone to work a few bugs out of the lock and taper a new ramrod,,,, the Smoothrifle will get sold or traded.

I use mine for squirrel hunting.
273118F8-D62A-4E9A-8A70-67C7724C4DB3.jpeg

As far as being correct, not really sure because I just got interested in them. I guess it would depend on the what shape the gun was in and the price. Just going to be used for hunting - no use in historical settings.

As far as being correct, not really sure because I just got interested in them. I guess it would depend on the what shape the gun was in and the price. Just going to be used for hunting - no use in historical settings.
Mine is a Centermark. They come up for sale fairly regularly on used and auction sights. They are not 100% correct. Biggest most obvious things "wrong," are that the stock is usually maple and should be walnut, and the barrel is a few inches too short. There are a few other issues according to the "experts." Some issue about the size or bend of the trigger guard and a couple other things I still have trouble spotting and remembering.

There are others out there of varying degrees of correctness. Of you want historically correct and accurate at some point in the future, the aforementioned @Alexander Efremenko is your guy. Even if you can't or don't get one of the guns he has made, he can steer you in the right direction.

Any suggestions on where to buy one?
Caywoodguns.com have the best flint locks, from Arkansas. Their ads used to have a photo of Gov Huckaby hunting turkey with one of their top grade flint fowlers. I used to shoot one of their small rifles. Can vouch for lock, general high workmanship. Believe I still have one of the locks they use, from my building days.

Back