• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New idea for a Range/Cleaning Rod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I were changing over our bedroom curtains earlier today and had to monkey with the hollow, seamless, two-piece stainless steel curtain rod. It suddenly occurred to me that with a bit of modification, e.g., removing the end pc. decorations, inserting a sleeve of some sort, and drilling & tapping it, one would have a very strong and light weight cleaning/wiping rod. Ours expands to fit a 72" window, so they're enough to work with. If you have such a thing that's not being used for its original purpose, you may want to consider it.

Maven, I had Ben Hubbard make a H&R style brass collapsible 36 inches long range rod with a 10-32 threaded hole in the end. The cost was $42 including shipping. While I am very pleased with this rod as Ben’s work is excellent, your idea would have worked for me and been much cheaper.
Thanks for sharing.

Warning - mentions of inlines and redneck engineering follow....

Have hankerin for BP shotgun. Am poor. Bought single shot 12ga at pawn shop, a ShortLane adapter, now I have inline 12ga. Need ramrod - the range rod and field rod for my .54 aren't cutting it - they are too skinny and let over shot/over powder wads tip, etc.

Have been eyeballing my stand of black bamboo, lots of potential there. But I have a selfie stick that collapses, but requires a fairly solid push to do so. Gotta figure out a way to attach a head of some type to give me a nice big flat pushing surface (thinkin some hot glue or JB Weld and the base of a 20ga or similar shell, or perhaps a washer, or maybe even jbweld a threaded end in there and use a real jag head... )

Sounds like you just need a shotgun loading jag to fit the ramrod you have
Possibly, but my range rod is a big heavy solid brass piece with steel handle, weighs TONS more than the selfie stick. Additionally, with the collapsing stick I don't need to figure out a way to hang it under the barrel, drill the stock, etc. Think finding a way to put the proper threaded bit on the end of the stick and then screwing in a shotgun jag would be the way to go... Just gotta get to the hardware store in the bits-n-bobs-n-fasterners area and see what I can find...

FYI, I asked my wife where she got the curtain rod mentioned in my post above: Target (kind of appropriate, don't you think?), but I'm sure there are other sources. Btw, once separated, said rod would yield 2 rods, one for ~.45cals. and one for .50cal and up.

Last edited:
Back