• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Ice Box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I sold my old ice box and made a smaller one.It is more efficient since I have only one door and a smaller lid to put the ice in with. The lid and doors are a "weak" spot for heat loss.(or gain ). It is shown with a plug where the spigot fits, I learned the hard way to remove the spigot for transport to prevent it from getting bumped and causing a leak, The legs remove from the base and set inside the base. The ice goes in the top, melted water comes out the spigot.

Attachments

• IM001699.jpg
    IM001699.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1
Very nice.
So nice I am interested in a lot more information...
Can we please see more pictures, different angles, shots of the inside through front and top hatches?
What are the dimensions compared to your old one,,, how much and what type of stuff does it hold?

I sold my old ice box and made a smaller one.It is more efficient since I have only one door and a smaller lid to put the ice in with. The lid and doors are a "weak" spot for heat loss.(or gain ). It is shown with a plug where the spigot fits, I learned the hard way to remove the spigot for transport to prevent it from getting bumped and causing a leak, The legs remove from the base and set inside the base. The ice goes in the top, melted water comes out the spigot.
Hello I am knew to the group I was told by someone on another site to contact you about wad punchs how can I contact you

I'll try to add some more pictures, for some reason my computer will not open any of my pictures.Maybe it will post them with out opening them. The ice box is lined with two inches of green foam and a top layer of foil faced 1/2 inch foam. The door and lid have one inch green foam and 1/2 inch foil faced foam. /All of the foam that is not foil faced is covered with aluminum air conditioner"duct tape. The ice pan and bottom of the box are copper flashing with the seams sealed with lead free plumbing solder. The box area will hold five gallon jugs of milk with storage under the drain pipe for eggs meat and cheese.The ice pan will hold two seven pound bags of ice. My old ice box was larger with two doors and a larger lid for the ice pan .Since the doors and lids are "weak spots" for heat transfer I made the new ice box with only one door and a smaller lid.When I made the old ice box I could handle it by myself but as I got older it required two people to handle. External dimensions are 21 inches deep, 23 inches tall, and 26 inches wide. I usually use it to store milk and eggs since I often make ice cream at rendezvous. Just for the record the "Moore Box was patented in 1803 and was in use at the governors mansion in Vincenees by 1805. The native Americans were fascinated by getting ice cold fire water in July.

Attachments

• IM001704.jpg
    IM001704.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IM001701.jpg
    IM001701.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IM001700.jpg
    IM001700.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IM001703.jpg
    IM001703.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'll try to add some more pictures, for some reason my computer will not open any of my pictures.Maybe it will post them with out opening them. The ice box is lined with two inches of green foam and a top layer of foil faced 1/2 inch foam. The door and lid have one inch green foam and 1/2 inch foil faced foam. /All of the foam that is not foil faced is covered with aluminum air conditioner"duct tape. The ice pan and bottom of the box are copper flashing with the seams sealed with lead free plumbing solder. The box area will hold five gallon jugs of milk with storage under the drain pipe for eggs meat and cheese.The ice pan will hold two seven pound bags of ice. My old ice box was larger with two doors and a larger lid for the ice pan .Since the doors and lids are "weak spots" for heat transfer I made the new ice box with only one door and a smaller lid.When I made the old ice box I could handle it by myself but as I got older it required two people to handle. External dimensions are 21 inches deep, 23 inches tall, and 26 inches wide. I usually use it to store milk and eggs since I often make ice cream at rendezvous. Just for the record the "Moore Box was patented in 1803 and was in use at the governors mansion in Vincenees by 1805. The native Americans were fascinated by getting ice cold fire water in July.
Thank you.
That is really nice. Well done sir.

I grew up calling refrigerators ice boxes. Even had one in the kitchen when I was very small. Your project is very neat and a good job. I still call my refrigerator the ice box.

Latest posts

Back