• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New here and green to BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJoLesh

40 Cal
Reaction score
Basic info first:
Location: Northern West Virginia, about 1h south of Pittsburgh
Gun(s) (pertinent to the forum): Modern Pennsylvania style flintlock, .32 percussion.
Muzzleloader experience: very little
Hunting?: Not anymore, but maybe again someday.

Hi all, well due to the state the nation is in (US), and some other life events, I have had some more opportunity to spend range time with my guns. By far the most enjoyable is shooting my flintlock. It was a gift given to me about 3 years ago, but as of writing this I have only put ~100 balls down the barrel. After the first time out with it, I did get the significant other their own gun (a Crockett.32 percussion), because we had so much fun.

To be honest, I had gotten bored with cartridge guns, and only kept reasonably proficient with my EDC gun, and letting all my other firearms skills atrophy. Any hunting I do anymore is with a bow, and has been limited to squirrels and rabbits, I am just not interested in larger game or the time investment to do it. Going out after deer with a rifle or shotgun is about as appealing to me as a trip to the grocery store if there was a 75% chance that there would not be anything there to get. Anyway......

I am thinking about picking up a DYI kit, or putting one together from parts, but I don’t know what style I would want next. Also I like tinkering around on things, so other projects are interesting to me too.

Thanks for adding me. I am hoping to learn lots and have some fun with you all.

Welcome to the Club. Yup..something about a Flintah....and speaking of getting bored...I hope your bow looks similar to this...lol
10CEE230-293B-476A-A953-EFFAD85CE395.jpeg

Yup horn knocks....I wish I could build an English Yew Bow...that one came from Gerald Welsh in Alaska. Life it to short to learn all these crafts....

Yup horn knocks....I wish I could build an English Yew Bow...that one came from Gerald Welsh in Alaska. Life it to short to learn all these crafts....
Wow, it is even yew! I thought it was a backed bow stained to simulate yew.
You have a real gem there.
I just came back from the sawmill, that planned Hickory backed Walnut bow is now going to be Hickory backed Ash, or maybe just ash with a walnut riser.

Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you will have a great experience here, learning, while adding to the discussion.
(Sometimes it seems to me we have as many bowmen here as we do flintlock shooters.) BTW, if you are out shooting, you're doing better than I am. The range I belong to has been closed since this "stay at home" situation started.

Richard/Grumpa
about an hour north of you.

Hello, JoJo, Looks like you're well on the way, and have now found a home among we who like it the old way. I shot a bow years ago, but cannot raise my left arm anymore. The .32 is a great caliber, contrary to popular belief. Welcome, Geo.

Welcome from SW Ohio. Your .32 strikes me as a perfect first flint.
A perfect alternative to your bow for bushy & cotton tails.

Welcome from SW Ohio. Your .32 strikes me as a perfect first flint.
A perfect alternative to your bow for bushy & cotton tails.
The 32 is a Percussion, my flint is a 50. But yes that was one of the ides for the 32, small game rifle.
I am looking for a 32 flint kit build, or something of the like maybe.

Basic info first:
Gun(s) (pertinent to the forum): Modern Pennsylvania style flintlock, .32 percussion.

Hi all, well due to the state the nation is in (US), and some other life events, I have had some more opportunity to spend range time with my guns. By far the most enjoyable is shooting my flintlock. It was a gift given to me about 3 years ago, but as of writing this I have only put ~100 balls down the barrel. After the first time out with it, I did get the significant other their own gun (a Crockett.32 percussion), because we had so much fun.

To be honest, I had gotten bored with cartridge guns, and only kept reasonably proficient with my EDC gun, and letting all my other firearms skills atrophy. Any hunting I do anymore is with a bow, and has been limited to squirrels and rabbits, I am just not interested in larger game or the time investment to do it. Going out after deer with a rifle or shotgun is about as appealing to me as a trip to the grocery store if there was a 75% chance that there would not be anything there to get. Anyway......

I am thinking about picking up a DYI kit, or putting one together from parts, but I don’t know what style I would want next. Also I like tinkering around on things, so other projects are interesting to me too.

Welcome sir. There is not a more helpful bunch of folks on the planet. You’ve come to the right place. I’ve been shooting muzzleloaders for more tan 50 years and still learn new stuff from these guys.

Welcome sir. There is not a more helpful bunch of folks on the planet. You’ve come to the right place. I’ve been shooting muzzleloaders for more tan 50 years and still learn new stuff from these guys.

I just read the “How to shoot a flintlock” in the information thread! I have been packing my ball hard on my powder. I just figured that; 1 you don’t want any air gap or you will have a bomb, and 2 that you wanted to confine the explosion as much as possible for maximum effect. Light off a firecracker in your open hand for a fun party trick. Light off a firecracker in your balled up fist and use your other hand to wave goodbye to your fingers.

Next week I am headed to the range and I will try shooting with less compression.

Basic info first:

I also have a longbow. Welcome to the dark side and feel free to ask any and all questions. I am by no means an expert but this forum is a wonderful source of information, and a fun and inclusive group of individuals.

Welcome aboard.

Although I have been into muzzleloaders for most of my life, my interests, like yours took an uptick when I got tired of using modern arms to hunt with and went to strictly traditional style black powder in my hunts.

Back