• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Hat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rat

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked a new hat this morning at a local event. It's much thinner/lighter than my old hat (10yrs) and the brim feels very flimsy. I'm thinking it needs a trip to the hatter to get blocked and maybe that will stiffen up the brim. I did my old hat a few years ago and it made a big difference but it is definately heavier. My question is there a way I can acheive the same results here at home?

Thanks

I remember something about felt hats and shellac. Beyond that, you're on your own. :grin:
Moose

Hat shops have a stiffener they use, though i dont know what it is, and i do remember seeing spray cans of "hat stiffener" in PFI a while back. maybe google that term & see what you find?

Spray starch. Put a kettle of water on the stove,
direct the steam on the hat and bend it however you want it, spray starch it and hold it that way til it dries.

I've used a water proofing spray on hats before. I can't remember the name of it, got it at a clothing store years ago. It made it pretty stiff.
Not much help but you might look around and find some. Good luck.

Back in the 80's a guy working at the western store told me to use hair spray. It worked.

Back