• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new hand guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb78963

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hang around old guys. Old guys know stuff.

Since I have been shooting black powder guns since the early 1950’s I guess than makes me an old guy. I date back to Du Pont in oval cans and shooting an original 1851 Colt Navy

And perhaps I learned some stuff from experience and questioning talented and proficient gun smiths.

It is considered by gunsmiths that modern replicas of pre1900 percussion hand guns are really a fully assembled kit. I cannot speak about cartridge guns but they seem to be a little better built. Both Uberti and Pietta guns need work to be reasonably reliable.

There are things that can be done to improve them, some are simple and some take more skill. The first thing is complete disassembly for cleaning and removal of the factory grease.

A set of hollow ground screwdrivers is a must. Brownell’s make a set of handle and bits for the Single Action Colt and they are perfect and not outrageously expensive.

The June and July 2008 copies of the Cowboy Chronicle of the Single Action Society archives has an excellent article by “Larson E. Pettifogger”. I believe the archives are available to non SAAS members at their web site.

Mike Beliveau at duelist1954 also has some good video instruction on improving reliability that is pretty much kitchen table work.

Easy things that can help is installing Slix-Shot nipples, a lighter mainspring, and a wire spring to replace the flat trigger and bolt spring. With a Uberti dropping a split (lock) washer in the arbor hole of the barrel should help correct the short arbor problem.

It depends on what you use the guns for. I am a SASS shooter and I want the gun to work perfectly five shots from each one very time. For general plinking, can rolling and fun shooting the occasional cap jam is a nuisance, for completion it is a disaster.

Finally get out the GOEX FFFG and learn what your gun likes. I do not like the so-called substitutes Pyrodex or 777, do not use them and do not recommend them.

That is personal. Two of my snubbies like APP better and rather than fight the problem I feed them Black MZ. All the others digest GOEX FFFg with excellent results.

However, a “man ought to do what he thinks best” to quote Hondo Lane

WB

The June and July 2008 copies of the Cowboy Chronicle of the Single Action Society archives has an excellent article by “Larson E. Pettifogger”. I believe the archives are available to non SASS members at their web site.

The SASS articles are not complete. Pettifogger published them about 12 years ago, a 2-part series on the Pietta and a 4-part series on the Uberti. The Uberti series is longer because it addresses the ongoing problem of the improper arbor/arbor recess fit not found on most Pietta revolvers.

You can find them here. Download the .pdf files. It's free.

https://archive.org/download/PettiFogger_Files/TOR Posts pdf/

Regards,

Jim

I’m an old guy too, and my 1860 Army Uberti (you guys sick of seeing this pistol yet?)
27C4F555-A808-48FF-AF1A-FB276068201B.jpeg
has been giving me flawless service since 1969. Now, I could say, I have 60 years of experience shooting Blackpowder but sometimes I have to relearn old lessons so I’ll temper that and say that I have 30 or so years of experience, most years repeated twice.

I’ve been very pleased and or fortunate with the Uberti pistols, but I’ve always been lucky, most of them haven’t needed anything but powder, ball, and caps. I’m happy to oblige.

I have a 46 year old Rogers and Spencer that is still all original less the hand spring. Still shoots great. And its been shot a lot. Took many a Squirrel and varmint and many mock gunfight shows.
All the typical disassembly, cleaning, deburing along with checking and correcting cylinder bore dia to meet barrel max together with consistant maintenance will keep them shooting with reliability for many moons. All my BP revolvers work flawlessly with the original parts.

Back