• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

new guy on the block

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murph

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hi everyone, im new to this forum iv been reading alot of what you guy's have been saying and it's all good but this is my first post, Im not new to black powder shooting but it's been a long time since iv partaken in it. so to start thing off right i just orderd a new t/c hawken from mid south shooters supply. If anyone has any ideas or helpful hints with my hawken please speak up thanks,murph :)

Welcome to the forum Murph!

Lets see....Ideas about your new TC?
Well first off, be prepared to shoot it a lot. As you already know, your going to have to find out where it's sweet spot is.

Oh! There are some here on the Forum who really really like the TC Hawkin. They mention it's accuracy and the Great Guarantee TC has for their guns. TC has a unbelieveably good reputation for standing behind their products.

There are also some who really dislike the TC Hawken.
Their main complaint is it doesn't look like a real Hawken, it has coil springs in its lock and it's 1:48 twist barrel is a compromise that isn't the best for shooting roundballs.

For what it's worth, I own 3 TC Hawkens, one .54 I built from a kit, a standard .50 and a .50 which I restocked with one of Pecatonica Rivers Curly Maple. They all shoot roundballs great.
I think that for the money, the TC Hawken is hard to beat.
::

Thanks for joining and posting. Hope to hear more from you.

Zonie, thanks for the warm welcome,yes t/c makes a great rifle i know it's not historicly perfect but i plan on putting fixed sights on it and that will help the look of it some. this seems to be a great webpage and i look forward to talking to all of ya,murph

I own a T/C Hawkins Flinter in .50 caliber and two T/C Renegades in .54 caliber and they are all good shooters. As already said, they have a sweet load. Usually a real low one, like 50 grains and a roundball and then a much stiffer one. All you can do is get some roundball... .490 for the .50 caliber and .530 for the .54 caliber is what I use, some patch and lube and go out and have fun.

There are things to watch out for when loading such as drying the barrel free of all oils and moisture and popping a few caps through the nipple before loading, but all of that will be learned in time.

You have a great rifle there. Although it might not be traditional in apperance to some, it is just fine to me. Have a lot of fun and welcome to the forum. Great to have you...

My T/C is a renegade, a little plainer than the hawken, also flintlock. It is a good solid rifle. My T/C experience has been good. Just bought another one in percussion that someone failed to take care of, so i now have something to tinker with & try to get it shooting again. Get one quick and start shooting it....

rayb

Back