• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New guy here from PA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyEtch29

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all!
This is my very first time on any shooters forum and my very first time shooting a flintlock. I have a Lyman GPR in .50 caliber with a 1:60 twist and a 32” barrel.
I am so far loving the world of flintlocks even though I can’t get a solid group with my rifle to save my life (yet). Any tips would be greatly appreciated as far as charge size, powder type, ball type, anything that might help this new guy get his shots on paper.
Thanks!

Welcome from the Lehigh Valley!
Lots of good info will be found here. Finding someone who already shoots flintlocks in your area will be a benefit to you. That experience over your shoulder pays dividends.
If you haven't, start a thread in Flint Rifles with info about what you are using, loads you tried, results, etc and you might get some good feedback.

Welcome, from North Carolina! I agree with what Daryl Crawford said. I am a percussion shooter, so can’t offer any suggestions regarding flints, frizzen hardness, etc., but you should probably start with a .490 round ball, .015 patch material, and 50-60 grains of ffg or fffg blackpowder (or the equivalent by volume of Pyrodex RS or P). Your choice of lubricants can also vary (I like mink oil), so search that on the forum (but get ready to read more info than you ever thought possible on patch lubes😎). You change and adjust things measurably and one variation at a time, until you find what works best/what you like best. Good luck, and make some smoke!

Hello all!
This is my very first time on any shooters forum and my very first time shooting a flintlock. I have a Lyman GPR in .50 caliber with a 1:60 twist and a 32” barrel.
I am so far loving the world of flintlocks even though I can’t get a solid group with my rifle to save my life (yet). Any tips would be greatly appreciated as far as charge size, powder type, ball type, anything that might help this new guy get his shots on paper.
Thanks!
Since you’re from Pennsylvania you might want to connect with the Pennsylvania Federation of Black Powder Shooters. They promote Muzzleloading events and clubs throughout the State. The link to their website is

https://www.pfbps.com

Although I’ve shot muzzleloaders since I was a kid, I’m somewhat new at being involved in organized shoots and these different events. There are many clubs in the State that are connected with the PFBPS and getting involved with one of them is the best way to get started. The shooters at my club have been great at offering help and showing me the ropes. It’s one of the things that makes shooting in Pennsylvania great fun.

Back