• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New guy from Tennessee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a poor boy made by Rowland Southgate, 32 caliber. I've kicked myself lots of times fo selling it. I like the simpler designs.

OH No ! I had a RS rifle also 45cal , had ordered back in mid 70s (may have been one of his last builds) but did trade it off to a very good Shooting Friend in SATX. He had built a really nice Hawken .50 cal Flint Full stock rifle. he was an older Gentleman and said the Hawken was becoming a "might heavy" for him, so we struck up a deal to swap rifles and a little more extras. But sadly I did sell his rifle off to a Guy in Alaska, a time thought it was a good idea but now wish I had it back. Attached is the target I shot with that Hawken ! Was shooting left to right !

Attachments

• Old target1.jpg
    Old target1.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 60
Samtex, I'm from Vidor, about 22 miles west of Orange. I grew up in the Williamson Settlement, about 7 miles north of Vidor off Highway 105. Been gone 27 years I think. Had to find a place to raise my kids, it was too growed up when I left. I Love East Texas though, had lots of friends and worked on jobs all the way up to St. Augustine. Learned how to work on BP guns in Kirbyville. My brother married a lady from Diboll, and they lived at Pluck and Lufkin. Glad the OP is welcomed by East Texans, Tennesseeans helped Texas become an Independent Republic, and we will never forget their sacrifice at the Alamo.

Treestalker, we used to go coon hunting on mules in Vidor with a friend from Sulphur Springs in the mid 80s. It was the first time I had to use a compass. The timber was so tall and dense you couldn't see the stars. And the mosquitoes...OMG!
But good times.

Samtex, I'm from Vidor, about 22 miles west of Orange. I grew up in the Williamson Settlement, about 7 miles north of Vidor off Highway 105. Been gone 27 years I think. Had to find a place to raise my kids, it was too growed up when I left. I Love East Texas though, had lots of friends and worked on jobs all the way up to St. Augustine. Learned how to work on BP guns in Kirbyville. My brother married a lady from Diboll, and they lived at Pluck and Lufkin. Glad the OP is welcomed by East Texans, Tennesseeans helped Texas become an Independent Republic, and we will never forget their sacrifice at the Alamo.
Welcome from Middle TN!

I was born in Humble, lived in the Spring for 20 years. My folks are Piney Woods people too. Nacogdoches and Lufkin. I know Vidor well. Had a bit of a rep back in the day.;)

OH No ! I had a RS rifle also 45cal , had ordered back in mid 70s (may have been one of his last builds) but did trade it off to a very good Shooting Friend in SATX. He had built a really nice Hawken .50 cal Flint Full stock rifle. he was an older Gentleman and said the Hawken was becoming a "might heavy" for him, so we struck up a deal to swap rifles and a little more extras. But sadly I did sell his rifle off to a Guy in Alaska, a time thought it was a good idea but now wish I had it back. Attached is the target I shot with that Hawken ! Was shooting left to right !
That's good shooting!

You boys ought to stick to the original posting about Royland. His Tennessee Maids, as he called them, were great rifles at a more than reasonable price. Slim Pickins got his last one. Spent a lot of evenings at his shop at Rebel Hill.

Well darn, my kids live in Cristiana.

Once I get my smokepole up and running, we should get together and burn some blackpowder when I'm down there to visit!

I’m in Cannon County, between Woodbury and Smithville 30 miles east of Murfreesboro. My wife works in the Boro. Small world.

Miller’s Grocery in Christiana serves some great Southern comfort food...

I’m in Cannon County, between Woodbury and Smithville 30 miles east of Murfreesboro. My wife works in the Boro. Small world.

Miller’s Grocery in Christiana serves some great Southern comfort food...

Sounds like we need to have a get together sometime!

Well darn, my kids live in Cristiana.

Once I get my smokepole up and running, we should get together and burn some blackpowder when I'm down there to visit!
Finding a place to shoot is tough here. TWRA has a range on Hobsons Pike but I don't know if they allow black powder. They're only open on weekends.

I bet the woods are full of em’!

Welcome Tobie, I’m a transplanted TOCN myself... Waverly area.

The Buro is a busy place...
You got that right! This burg was never intended to be this big.

Can somebody set me straight? I signed up to donate every month but I don't see anywhere that shows this.

Back