• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New guns inherited. Tell me more

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very kind of you not that Ide ever seek one. Rudyard
Also Im thinking about ditching that Johnny Cash stock and sights and ordering a new stock from Pecotonica River. But Im not sure the barrel or action warrants putting a nicer stock on.

I can't swear to it but the T/C appears to have what looks to be a slight crack in the stock just at the rear of the lock. Otherwise, happy trails and good hunting.

Drop a rod down the barrel just to be sure there not loaded or something down there. Unbelievable how many used muzzleloaders are loaded or partially loaded.

Also Im thinking about ditching that Johnny Cash stock and sights and ordering a new stock from Pecotonica River. But Im not sure the barrel or action warrants putting a nicer stock on.
Why? Totally functional as it is and for the money you can simply buy another Renegade. I don't know what relative left that to you, but whoever it was put some work into it. Purists be damned.

Hell, he even had the forethought to embed a dollar into the stock, so if you decide to toss it, you can say you threw something away!

Keep the thing, if nothing else for conversation's sake.

Inherited says enough to me, someone wanted you to have these guns, maybe in the hopes you would hunt with them. In my opinion leave them as they are and carry on the wish of the person who wanted you to have them. They were good enough for that person and should be used and remembered from who they came from as in the condition you received them.

Take the non functioning trigger out. Clean it up, put some gun oil in logical spots, wrap it in a rag over night. Look on this forum for the proper method of adjusting a set trigger. Take trigger out of rag, check for operation, if it doesn’t work, look for a knowledgeable BP gunsmith or buy a replacement. Check L&R Lock Co., they may have one that will fit right in.

At least 50 threads here on how to adjust a set trigger. More likely than not a simple adjustment is all that is needed.
Yeah I figured. I just hadnt dealt with one that wasnt working at all and just the firing trigger is working. Also I fired a cap through it and its not firing the first hammer drop but does the second so its gonna need some adjustment as well.

As Mr. Landry, star of "Swamp People" often said .."CHOOT IT !".

Family guns are different from those acquired otherwise. Every time a person picks up a family gun, memories of who enjoyed using it should be there like a hand on your shoulder. At least mine do.

Knowing certain ones will never be sold, but passed down, there's nothing wrong with fixing & restoring a family gun as long as you pass it on in as good as or better than when you were honored to receive it. For old time's sake, I suggest taking them out at least one time to get an honest "feel" of what the former owner experienced. After that ...do what YOU want.

Replacement parts for both of your guns are available with a bit of searching. There's no magic in swapping parts on factory guns as long as you know exactly what's needed ..and that's where this forum does well.

Enjoy the ride and welcome.

People do strange things to perfectly good gunstocks, to them they look special, to the rest of us, not so much.

The worst I have seen was a guy who put 2" wide barber pole stripes from stem to stern on fine Lancaster rifle with a blow torch because he liked the way it looked. Another guy inletted a subway token from the early 20th century that was the same date as his grandmother's birthday as a tribute, again on a fine Lancaster rifle.

I have reworked the stocks on three TCs lately to make them look much thinner, more defined and better.

Here is an example;

done full cheekside.JPG

If you just want something to shoot you have just what you need. If it was me with my picky ways, I would be looking for a replacement stock for the TC.

I thought this was a muzzle loader forum where people could discuss any non inline muzzle loaders. The guy asked about his new muzzle loaders and people are responding. That is what makes this forum enjoyable. All these rifles are fun to shoot and look at. Not just $2,000 or $3,000 custom rifles. If there are ten pages about a TC or CVA rifle that makes for ten pages of fun reading and potentially educational for others..

Last edited:
Yeah I figured. I just hadnt dealt with one that wasnt working at all and just the firing trigger is working. Also I fired a cap through it and its not firing the first hammer drop but does the second so its gonna need some adjustment as well.
Might need a new lock main spring. It is an old gun from the 70's/80's. Mine are mostly from the 90's and everyone was much improved with a mainspring change.

I have the tool, but usually just GENTLY use a small vice I have mounted. Changing the mainspring...there is more than one way to skin this cat.

https://woodsrunnerstrail.blogspot.com/2011/09/one-hour-gunsmith-puts-new-mainspring.html
Easy to change, easy to find. Deer Creek Products for one. Get the CVA version to avoid inletting issues. They come with a square pin, so you will need to gently use a small fine file to round the pin to fit in the lock hole. It normally take more time to pull all my tools and parts out and put them away than it takes to change a leaf spring in a CVA/Traditions

I have a double handful of high end Spanish SxS sidelock shotguns...they need changing at times also, oft times so much so that gunsmiths make ready replacements to keep in your case with each gun.

Last edited:
Might need a new lock main spring. It is an old gun from the 70's/80's. Mine are mostly from the 90's and everyone was much improved with a mainspring change.

I have the tool, but usually just GENTLY use a small vice I have mounted. Changing the mainspring...there is more than one way to skin this cat.

https://woodsrunnerstrail.blogspot.com/2011/09/one-hour-gunsmith-puts-new-mainspring.html
Easy to change, easy to find. Deer Creek Products for one. Get the CVA version to avoid inletting issues. They come with a square pin, so you will need to gently use a small fine file to round the pin to fit in the lock hole. It normally take more time to pull all my tools and parts out and put them away than it takes to change a leaf spring in a CVA/Traditions

I have a double handful of high end Spanish SxS sidelock shotguns...they need changing at times also, oft times so much so that gunsmiths make ready replacements to keep in your case with each gun.
Good info! Thank you

Back