• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Gun Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk Pitt

32 Cal
Reaction score
I finally got around to shooting my very first black powder gun it’s a 36 caliber revolver. It’s a reproduction of something the frame goes all the way around the cylinder I just don’t know enough to tell you what it is a reproduction of.

I was really impressed with this gun it was a ton of fun to shoot using Pyrodex my son and I had a really great time just shooting it.

There was some guys at the range shooting steel plates and I asked if I could use their targets. I nailed them all six out of six and even let those guys shoot it, they had never shot one either and they were all really impressed and how accurate it was.

Attached is my target that was at 25 yards off hand no rest I know there’s seven holes but from two different shot strings. I didn’t get a chance this time but next time I go to the range I want to put it in a rest and see how good I can do the sites are rudimentary at best
I really enjoy this I think I’ve been bitten by the bug and need some more!

6A0135F0-9995-4D8B-986E-746283DCFF64.jpeg

I finally got around to shooting my very first black powder gun it’s a 36 caliber revolver. It’s a reproduction of something the frame goes all the way around the cylinder I just don’t know enough to tell you what it is a reproduction of.

I was really impressed with this gun it was a ton of fun to shoot using Pyrodex my son and I had a really great time just shooting it.

There was some guys at the range shooting steel plates and I asked if I could use their targets. I nailed them all six out of six and even let those guys shoot it, they had never shot one either and they were all really impressed and how accurate it was.

Attached is my target that was at 25 yards off hand no rest I know there’s seven holes but from two different shot strings. I didn’t get a chance this time but next time I go to the range I want to put it in a rest and see how good I can do the sites are rudimentary at best
I really enjoy this I think I’ve been bitten by the bug and need some more!

View attachment 14537

Dirk, if your revolver frame has a top strap it is most probably a replica of a 1858 Remington Navy model. I say "Navy" because the 36 caliber was usually known as a Navy model. That name does not mean it was used exclusively by the Navy. Many Army officers preferred the smaller frame of the Navy model. The name was mostly used to contrast it to the larger framed 44 caliber Army model. I hope this helps. Very nice offhand shooting. I'm no expert, so somebody else jump in with an explanation.
Thanks

DP, I forgot to ask what load in grains you were shooting?
I might also add that shooting black powder can become an addiction. I think it is called Blackpowderusism, unfortunately there is no cure only continued use, lol.

Thanks for the info I will have to post a picture of it.

My load was 20 grains pyrodex with a round lead ball and wonder wads. This load worked great no issues.

Thanks for the info I will have to post a picture of it.

My load was 20 grains pyrodex with a round lead ball and wonder wads. This load worked great no issues.

I am glad you used wonder wads.Those C&B revolvers can "chain" fire. That's when the flame from the discharged cylinder sets off the chambers next to it. Using Wonder Wads will help prevent this. Usually I smear Crisco or Thompson Center 1000 lube patch lube on top of the loaded cylinder to help prevent this. Only down sided to Crisco is it tends to melt in warm weather.
Have fun and good shooting.

You could also tell us what size percussion caps you used and what sized balls you loaded. Who is the manufacturer of your revolver?

Chain fire is real and is most often caused by flame from an adjacent cylinder getting around a loose percussion cap or a very ill fitting ball. Wonder wads do a good job of sealing the bore and preventing gas cutting on the ball. The ball should be oversize to the bore. If your revolver is a 44 caliber pistol then the ball will be made of soft lead and measure 0.451,or 0.454" in diameter. Upon loading a ring of lead is shaved off as the ball is loaded and the oversized ball seals the front of the chamber in the cylinder. The proper sized cap seals the nipple. The grease over the ball is intended to keep the fouling soft.

Waiting for the pictures. Good shooting.

Nice off hand shooting. I am impressed for your first outing. I can tell you are not new to pistol shootin, too nice a group to be a novice, maybe just new to BP is all.

EE33E6FC-1021-438E-A433-6F537D535D7C.jpeg
033718AF-DD0A-4567-92C9-FE505F18647D.jpeg
Not new to shooting that’s for sure!

But a babe in the woods when it comes to BP.

Don’t remember the weight of the balls, and I was looking for that ring but that did happen with these balls. They were snug but not tight

I did remember however I do have a picture of the gun it’s in a stand that I made first crack at making loading stands to!

What you have there is an 1858 Remington Navy revolver 36 cal. An extremely robust and reliable revolver. You will enjoy that one for many years to come.
DL

Dirk Pitt, (I've enjoyed that character for decades). Welcome to the Forum and black powder guns. That is some nice shooting.

You've discovered some of the 'secrets' of these revolvers.
1. They are a LOT of fun.
2. They are surprisingly accurate and comfortable.
3. They attract other (modern) shooters like iron filings to a magnet. And those other shooters love firing them.
4. With basic cleaning and care, they can last for decades.
5. They are economical. Considering the low cost of the BP revolver and componets compared to modern revolvers and ammo, they are a bargain and real value.
6. They are addictive along with other BP guns.

Jeff

Thank you for the model information I really appreciate it.
I hate to say this but I have had that gun for over 10 years and never shot it. Work and life got in the way.

Dirk Pitt,

Very nice target results shooting your revolver for the first time. Yeah, you are definitely not a handgun rookie. And shooting off hand is also very :cool: ...love to do that shooting stance.

I totally understand how much fun you had shooting BP. I got my first BP pistol only two months ago. After getting all the supplies needed, building a loading stand, I have been to the range twice. Great time shooting this muzzleloader, and like you, I've been hooked! Planning to get out this weekend again. That BP bug does bite deep, doesn't it?;)

wiksmo aka Bob

Yes, it bites hard.

Question for all you pros out there, the first 12 shots I reloaded using the stand, but then my son suggested we pop the cylinder out. Which we did for the rest of the day. The gun does not have a wedge, just used a plastic mallet and popped the center pin out, dropped the cylinder to the side and loaded it up that way. I have a ball starter (aka wood dowel) and pressed the balls in, put it back in the frame then used the under barrel ram for final seating then capped her up. It all seemed to work ok I know not the “correct” way but it definitely went faster. I can’t really think of anything bad about it. Any thoughts?

Yes, it bites hard.

Question for all you pros out there, the first 12 shots I reloaded using the stand, but then my son suggested we pop the cylinder out. Which we did for the rest of the day. The gun does not have a wedge, just used a plastic mallet and popped the center pin out, dropped the cylinder to the side and loaded it up that way. I have a ball starter (aka wood dowel) and pressed the balls in, put it back in the frame then used the under barrel ram for final seating then capped her up. It all seemed to work ok I know not the “correct” way but it definitely went faster. I can’t really think of anything bad about it. Any thoughts?

Dirk, as long as your seating the ball with the revolver lever, there should not be a problem. There is a devise for loading the cylinder off the the revolver. I have one but can't think of the actual other than something like "Cylinder Loading Lever Stand". It has a ramming lever that is attached to a vertical post. You place the cylinder on a short rod on the base to keep it centered. Then you load the cylinder just as if it were in the revolver using the loading lever. IMO, you can get a more consistent loading pressure than when the cylinder is on the gun. But mine is in 44 caliber and I'm not sure if a 36 caliber is available. You might try Dixie Gun Works or google C&B loading lever stand.
If any one knows the actual name of the devise jump in. It would be nice if they made it in 36 caliber as that is my favorite caliber to shoot but I've only seen them in 44.

Dirk, as long as your seating the ball with the revolver lever, there should not be a problem. There is a devise for loading the cylinder off the the revolver. I have one but can't think of the actual other than something like "Cylinder Loading Lever Stand". It has a ramming lever that is attached to a vertical post. You place the cylinder on a short rod on the base to keep it centered. Then you load the cylinder just as if it were in the revolver using the loading lever. IMO, you can get a more consistent loading pressure than when the cylinder is on the gun. But mine is in 44 caliber and I'm not sure if a 36 caliber is available. You might try Dixie Gun Works or google C&B loading lever stand.
If any one knows the actual name of the devise jump in. It would be nice if they made it in 36 caliber as that is my favorite caliber to shoot but I've only seen them in 44.
RMC now sells a dual caliber loading stand. They have a different rammer that simply screws onto the lever. Even have a sleeve that goes on the cylinder rod if your cylinder has a different arbor size. Thinking dragoon vs the 58 remmy.

Dirk,
If its gonna be another ten years before you shoot it again, let me send you my address in Texas and me and my boys will keep it broke in for you till then. LOL
DL

I am glad you used wonder wads.Those C&B revolvers can "chain" fire. That's when the flame from the discharged cylinder sets off the chambers next to it. Using Wonder Wads will help prevent this. Usually I smear Crisco or Thompson Center 1000 lube patch lube on top of the loaded cylinder to help prevent this. Only down sided to Crisco is it tends to melt in warm weather.
Have fun and good shooting.

No reason to be concerned about chain fires if the balls are a tight fit in the chambers.
Chain fires are caused by flame jumping from one nipple to another when a cap has fallen off a loaded chamber, or the caps used are fitting too loosely.
That grease over the chambers thing got started somehow in the 1960's when shooters were having to re-learn the way to load and shoot percussion revolvers after all the people who used to use them for real in the old days had died off, leaving little written information on proper loading techniques.
The wads are not really necessary either, but they do actually serve the purpose of keeping a little lubricant in the barrel and on the face of the cylinder to soften fouling.
Wad size or shape is not critical either as long as they are consistent, and fit in the chambers. In my experiments, undersized, square and triangular wads work just as well as the ones that are an exact fit.

Back