• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Gun Problem ... Help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Dremel tool is one of those devices that can convert $1000 worth of parts into a $150 gun. I may use mine to do some minor buffing of metal parts, but it gets locked away when its time to shape wood.

Scrapers and rasps are the tools to use to remove wood. You have far more control than you have with a power tool.

A buddy of mine used a Dremel mounted in the optional router base to inlet lock internals. It worked well for that. IMO, learning to use a Dremal would be better done on something other than $1000+ of gun parts. I have a Dremal. I don't use it on firearms. YMMV.

There are many times with various accessories where Dremels are very useful in gunsmithing. I see folks bashing the use of them regularly, but it’s all a matter of using common sense. I see folks that regularly bash the use of beans when making a pot of venison chili also.

A whirling tool of death has absolutely NO place in building (under certain conditions they can) or even the fixing of a cheapo traditions. The use of soot or inlet black is the only way one should find a binding issue. Then remove the problem areas accordingly with a sharp chisel, easy as that!

I learned to put away my Dremel and use the right stones and files to do my work. Dremel is o.k. but too many guns have been ruined using one. The trick is to take you time and do the work. Once you go too far with the Dremel you have to buy a new part or scrap your project.

But you can do what you want, it's your gun.

I confess to using my dremel on a regular basis. I find them to be a huge benefit when doing small jobs and have yet to experience a woops. I have used mine for years now on my guns of all kinds and know if you are very careful, they are a tool like any other. I also use files, stones and sometimes glass chunks. Every tool has its place and should be used with a profesionals touch. We dont lock up the hammers or presses and the dremel is no different. Just learn how to use them.

Back