• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Gun Problem ... Help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gunsmith will see the pictures for the first time in the morning. He will just hear of the problem.​

Before you load after you have cleaned your rifle, snap a cap(after you solve your problem)
to clear your fire channel.
Nit Wit
Also, when loading a percussion gun, make sure the nipple does not have a cap on it and make sure the hammer is not resting on the nipple.
Either or both of these things will prevent air from blowing out thru the nipple when the ball/bullet is rammed down the barrel.
If the end of the nipple is exposed, the air that is blown out thru it as the ball/bullet is rammed down the barrel will blow the new, loose powder back towards the underside of the nipple where it is easily ignited when the cap fires.
Just doing this can prevent a number of mis-fires.

So today the gunsmith at Traditions asked me to ship the rifle back and I got a RGA. So I put the little magnet on the hammer and she fired fine, just a bit low, so the weapon is now clean and empty and ready for a 3 week turn around. BOO on that!

And BTW, that was just a senior moment I had when I forgot to pop a primer or two before I loaded the rifle. That was my first time in maybe 45 years. I just had a senior moment, I guess.
Senior moment! Man, I can relate to that! Good thing Betty looks out for me at times! We do pretty good when we put both our heads together these days. If I'm doing anything remotely dangerous these days, I'll ask her to keep an eye on me to ensure I don't have one of those moments. Getting old can suck, but there is of course only one alternative! LOL

Also, when loading a percussion gun, make sure the nipple does not have a cap on it and make sure the hammer is not resting on the nipple.
Either or both of these things will prevent air from blowing out thru the nipple when the ball/bullet is rammed down the barrel.
If the end of the nipple is exposed, the air that is blown out thru it as the ball/bullet is rammed down the barrel will blow the new, loose powder back towards the underside of the nipple where it is easily ignited when the cap fires.
Just doing this can prevent a number of mis-fires.
Awesome tip Zonie, thanks for sharing this for us new to the black powder shooting! Keep them coming!

So today the gunsmith at Traditions asked me to ship the rifle back and I got a RGA. So I put the little magnet on the hammer and she fired fine, just a bit low, so the weapon is now clean and empty and ready for a 3 week turn around. BOO on that!
Glad the magnet worked. I'm glad you did a remote fire. I was concerned the magnet might get crushed by the hammer force. Good idea on your part. Those magnets are powerful for the size! Cheap too, you gotta love that!

Yes, those magnets did work well. I did have the gun empty and clean but got to wanting to fire it some before giving it up, so as I had around 10 of those magnets I just thought I’d shoot’em up. Some times you can get more than one shot from one magnet but they usually broke on the first use ... leaving little bits of magnet stuck to the barrel.

I’m still hoping the other nipple from HOTW will work. The nipple that comes with it won’t hold a CCI cap firm. Seems using that cap holder you’d have to remove the cap and pinch it and replace it. Is that confusing?

Ah, I'm not surprised the magnets powdered, pretty forceful hammer blow on a black powder percussion rifle for sure. The cap holders will put the caps on the nipple, but you still have to gently push down on the cap to make sure it is seated with the ignition powder mix down on the nipple. If you have a mismatch with the cap and nipple, it is possible to have an air gap between the nipple/cone and the bottom of the cap.

I’m still hoping the other nipple from HOTW will work. The nipple that comes with it won’t hold a CCI cap firm. Seems using that cap holder you’d have to remove the cap and pinch it and replace it. Is that confusing?
No, but your indecisiveness is,, :eek: o_O
You should start another thread asking what to do with the same rifle and problem,,:rolleyes:

Hello, I’m new to the forum and happy to be with you.

I just received my new 32 cal Crockett muzzleloader made by Tradition Arms. I have been waiting to get in all the items I need and thought I was finally ready, but when I pulled the trigger, the hammer dropped but the cap didn’t fire. I repeated this 6 times with CCI #11 caps. Then I noticed the caps are showing no sign of being hit so it appears the hammer is stopping a wee bit before making contact with the cap.

If this sounds like the case, would you know how to make that adjustment?

Thanks,

Gowacky
Either pull the ball and dump the powder charge, or use a “ball blower” or an air compressor to blow the charge out without setting it off.
Wipe out the barrel and take the gun back to Cabelas or wherever you bought it.
It’s a brand new gun and it obviously is defective for some reason you are not responsible for!
QUIT FOOLING WITH IT and TAKE IT BACK!
You shouldn’t have to buy a different nipple or file the lock mechanism or modify it in any way!
You should simply be able to load it properly and shoot it PERIOD!
Once you shoot it however, ensuing problems might be yours to deal with!
Crockets are good rifles and should not be causing you these problems!

Hello, I’m new to the forum and happy to be with you.

I just received my new 32 cal Crockett muzzleloader made by Tradition Arms. I have been waiting to get in all the items I need and thought I was finally ready, but when I pulled the trigger, the hammer dropped but the cap didn’t fire. I repeated this 6 times with CCI #11 caps. Then I noticed the caps are showing no sign of being hit so it appears the hammer is stopping a wee bit before making contact with the cap.

If this sounds like the case, would you know how to make that adjustment?

Thanks,

Gowacky
Send the lock back to the makers & demand a new one that works. Don't mess with things that are under warranty, you will void the warranty.
Keith.

Gowacky, get a co2 discharger... because you will at some point stuff a ball down the barrel, and realize (like I did) that you didn’t put powder in.. then you will say to yourself ‘I hate it when I do that’ and dig out the discharger and launch the ball 50 yards downrange...

Michael Ford, a co2 discharger is nice, but not necessary... You can remove the nipple, trickle a few grains of powder in, replace the nipple and cap and fire. It should be enough to get the ball out. I've never had a problem with this method.

Michael Ford, a co2 discharger is nice, but not necessary... You can remove the nipple, trickle a few grains of powder in, replace the nipple and cap and fire. It should be enough to get the ball out. I've never had a problem with this method.

I agree. Unfortunately, I have to admit to a "dry ball" load or three. I wouldn't buy a car from a muzzleloader shooter who claimed to have NEVER done it. There is plenty of room to add enough powder under the nipple to knock the ball out of the bore. You should be able to see it fly out of the barrel. If it doesn't make it all the way out. Add a bit larger dose through the nipple hole, push the ball back down to the powder and give it another go. I've never had to resort to this though. The CO2 discharger sounds nice, but it would be kind of a luxury item...and one more thing to clutter up my possibles bag. All you really need is a nipple wrench, powder, and a cap, all of which should already be in your bag. Let us know how you solve this issue.

Your problem is simple, I'm telling you. 3- other guys ( myself included) had the same problem and you just proved it. The inside edge of the hammer has a shoulder that wasn't cut high enough up during manufacture. The inside edge of the hammer is hitting the top of the lockplate-guar-an-TEE! Just Dremel a little bit off the inside of the hammer to bring the shoulder up a little bit and your gun is fixed.

Back