• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New gun options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapPopper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking at a kit of some sort and am somewhat undecided so I came here for wisdom..... Looking at maybe getting a kibler colonial kit most likely in .58 cause I feel the need for a big gun now that I have a .32..... The kibler is a little more than I really want to spend but I know it's quality and, while I'm no stranger to stock work I'm feeling somewhat impatient lol I'm pretty sure my wife will let me spend the extra for a kibler over say a TOTW kit..... So the real question I guess is should I go with a rifled bore or smooth bore? Will most likely predominantly be a deer gun..... Are the odds good I will be able to shoot it 80 yards with deer accuracy as a smooth rifle? I like the idea of being able to use a smoothbore for everything as I find the more I shoot a flintlock the less attractive everything else becomes to use..... I'm very undecided and need opinions. Thanks much in advance. :ThankYou:

I get pie plat accuracy with two different smooth bores at 50 yards. Sometimes with a flyer. At 25 yards I can get about two-three inch groups. I’ve tried a dozen different loads and that’s the best I can get. For me 50 yards is my limit with a smooth bore. I wouldn’t even consider shooting at a deer at 80 yards. Some people will claim otherwise but I don’t want to wound a deer and lose it or for it to suffer. Maybe if I had a rear sight on either I could do better.

I have owned a Kibler Colonial in 58 cal with a rifled barrel for about a year and a half. I feel that it was well worth the price. The combination of superb balance, top quality components, and exceptional accuracy has earned it a “top gun” position amongst my dozen muzzleloaders. For deer hunting out to 80 yards I’d be more confident with a rifled barrel. I limit my more versatile smoothbore to 50 yards for deer hunting. I considered a smoothbore in my Kibler but after experiencing the accuracy of the GM square cut rifled barrel, I’m glad I went with it. I’m primarily a deer hunter.
E4CF2798-7245-4995-9ED1-CA122C80ECBC.jpeg

I have given this some real thought as at age 78 it would be my first attemp at a build. Kibler seems to be my best choicd and a rifled barrel.
at our age our, at least my patience wains the closer i get to completion. i just finished a stock that was channeled for barrel and bored for rod. that is all. i stained it today and sanding marks showed up i couldn't see before. i knew i should sand it more but the devil made me rush.
my next long rifle will be a Kiblers. just too shakey to do the inletting perfect anymore.

I've thought about this a lot. I build my own guns so don't have to make the rifled or smoothbore decision. I've built a few of each. I have a shooting range and can shoot all my flinters...rifled and smoothbore well. That being said in a hunting situation I still don't take 100 yard shots with my rifles. If I was in a stand with a solid rest and the deer calm and in a clearing like a green patch I would feel confident about a 100 yard shot but I don't like sitting in shooting houses. The stands I hunt are set up for bowhunting in creek bottoms so a smoothbore works great. I killed a doe a couple days ago with my .54/28 and hunted yesterday with my .45 rifle.

My point with the long winded post is think hard about what you would enjoy the most. For me it's hands down a smoothbore. I don't see the need for a rifle just because I might need to shoot 20-30 yards farther one day. I'll just let that deer walk and shoot him some other day when he's closer. I could sell all my rifles tomorrow and it wouldn't change the way I hunt.

Maybe I should add I have a .50 that will shoot 2" groups at 100 with a minie so it's not like it will be my only gun..... The .50 is just a modern design capper that has plastic on it (just the butt but still....) And shoots better than me despite the rather neglected bore..... I'm trying to talk myself into a smoothbore.... I keep telling myself I would have a lot more opportunity to use it since I could also shoot shot so it would be good for doves and grouse and turkeys and so on plus buck for coyotes and blah blah.... We were a shotgun only state for unmentionable gun season for a long time and I didn't mind that..... I figure the effective range should be similar up to possibly 75 if I can find a load that will do it.... I reckon I can give up the little more range since I do have another gun that I have taken deer at 120 with..... Yeah I'm long winded but I don't have anyone to talk to that gives a hoot about this stuff..... How many .32 cal balls could I shoot out of a smooth 58 reasonably?

I don't see my effective HUNTING range with rifle vs smoothbore as very different at all. When I think about hunting situations, usually cold, early morning or late in the evening...not the best light for iron sights...plus a flintlock is more challenging to shoot. Also factor in maybe having to turn this way or that to get a shot normally without a rest.....rifling isn't all that comforting. Now I just treat my flintlocks like long range bows. I shoot my favorite .54/28 a lot and am comfortable with it out to 60 yards or more depending on the situation.

I should mention I am in the southeast which plays a big factor in my thinking on hunting set-ups compared to folks in more open country.

From @martin9 “The stands I hunt are set up for bowhunting”

This is exactly the way I hunt as well…..most of my shots are 20 - 30 yards. I have my .50 sighted dead on at 25 yards, 2” high at 50 yards. I use a rangefinder to identify trees, brush etc to create a shooting ”border”. If a deer is outside of that, he/she gets to live another day. I hate wounding a deer MUCH more than not getting a shot at one.

For similar money you could also consider a Chambers which is more of a "build" than kibler from what I've seen.

I'm leaning pretty hard toward one myself but the Edward Marshall or the English gentleman's rifle in 58 is the question!

I live by DKASPRZAK rules, 20 to 30 yds. There’s a lot of thickets, Rhododendrons and such, in my NW North Carolina mountains. And first rule, know what your smooth or rifled bore will do at what distance.

I love my Kibler in 54, but had the 58 smooth been available when I preordered I would have chosen that

Well wife ok'd my purchase! Looking at the approximate trajectory of a .575 round ball I cannot see even dreaming of shooting past 75 even if I'm getting 2" groups there. Drop numbers go up real fast past 75. So worrying about much range seems fairly pointless. So I think I am going to go smoothbore cause I don't want to use a rangefinder ever time something isn't real close anyways, and I have two rifles already. Plus since I'm in Ohio kibler is super local. Thanks for the opinions fellas everyone shooting a smoothbore seems to really love them so I'm going to give it a go! If I feel I need a rifle later that's just a real good excuse to buy another gun or build one. Thanks all!

Back