• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New garage sale find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mort Scott

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a rifle at a garage sale. wanting to know if is an original or someone made this as a kit. It has Josh Golcher engraved on lock. Stmaped on the bottom of the barrel is Ostley Nelson & co. the barrel is 48 inches long. Not sure what caliber the rifle is but it measures 13/32 at the bore. Sear is wore out. front sight missing. ramrod is broken. what info can you give me about this rifle. not sure what the value of this rifle is

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

I did an internet search and came up w/ this, hope it helps and is correct.

Joseph Golcher was a lockmaker who was located in Philadelphia PA circa the mid 19th century. His locks were sold to gunsmiths all over the country, particularly in the East.

Golcher made percussion and flint gun locks circa 1825 - 1860.

Joseph Golcher and Josh Golcher are one and the same.

Its certainly old - probably ca 1845-1860. It looks to have been heavily refinished which destroys much of its collector value although I'd much rather have that rifle than any new reproduction. The Golcher's were a big English lock making family who did have members in Pennsylvania although the jury is out as to whether they made locks here or imported them from England. The current evidence suggests they may have done both. If it were mine, I'd see about having the barrel freshed out and shooting it.

Are you sure the barrel is 48" long? That is extremely long.

Mort,
Your rifle is definitley not a kit. As said, the golcher family were very prolific lock makers and spelled their name several different ways. The Golchers also made a limited number of rifles. The name Ostley & Nelson on the bottom of the barrel indicates the barrel maker, whose location I don't have. The stock looks to have had major refinishing done to it over the years which does not enhance the value but does not take away the fact that it is still a piece of history. Who built it? A very good question that may never be answered unless someone has one that is very similar with a maker's name. A good buy, you bet!
Mark :thumbsup:

Thanks for you reply> I plan to repair and shoot this gun. Never will redo stock and barel. I love the patina colors on old guns.Still what cal do you think it is. Did check length of barrel Not 48 but 38. in. thanks again. Also do you think parts from Track of wolf will have correct parts?

Mort,
From what you say, 13/32, at the muzzle, it may be only around a .38-.40 caliber. You will have to slug the barrel to get a cast from about 4"-5" down the barrel. Many times the old rifles are worn larger at the muzzle than the bore. Parts are going to be another story. Parts from Track, Log Cabin, Dixie etc are going to be a mixed bag. You may get lucky and find something close that can be modified to fit but finding something that fits without some work means that you are luckier than me. You may want to find a gunsmith in your area and talk with him about what you need. Good luck.
Mark

Almost certainly not a kit, but I do want to caution that there are a number of repro locks out there marked "Golcher" or "Goulcher." Here's my squirrel rifle - definitely not old. I have no idea who made it, but it has a "Goulcher" lock.

d3e733a3.jpg

My thoughts exactly. until about 25 years ago, Dixie sold repro locks marked like originals. I have a rifle with a lock marked J & S Hawken, But it is right out of Dixie gun works.

Second - Back in the 1950 and 1960's It was frequently cheaper to assemble a gun from scavenged parts, both old and new. The butt plate on your gun looks quite peculiar. The angle is much more obtuse than any original I have seen.

I suspect that your gun is a mix

To me it also looks like a mixture of newer and older parts..But if it shoots what the heck

Postly, Nelson & Co. of Pittsburgh made barrels, locks and other hardware.

These barrels were used locally, and sold downriver to Ohio makers also.

Looks like a Ohio rifle to me..Golcher locks were as common in the mid 1800s as Remington Rifles are today...As James Kelly said Postley & Nelson company made barrels & locks in Pittsburgh from abt 1852- 1875..If these parts were new to the gun then your rifle is no older than 1852 , or newer than 1875...Parts can be reused so , could be later. I think your rifle is all original & made in Ohio abt 1860, could have wood refinished. I had a signed Henry Sheets rifle made near Dayton Ohio that had that exact sideplate, however other makers used similar shaped sideplates..I am suprised that the barrel is 48" long, as this would be long even for a fullstock, let alone a halfstock.As to the cond of you rifle being near exc. from what I see, I have found this very often on late halfstock percussions..Since cartridges was becoming more prevalent at this time..Nice rifle, congratulations.

Back