• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New from Western Oregon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper53

32 Cal
Reaction score
Trapper53 here, I have been following for awhile and decided to join in. I'm 68 years young and new to muzzle loaders. Have picked up a 50 caliber percussion rifle, a 12 gauge percussion double barrel, a cap and ball 45 caliber revolver through the years. I also built a 45 caliber pistol for a kit, 40 years ago, but never shot it.
I started hunting gophers on the farm when I was 10, with a 410 single shot. I worked up through varmints, pheasants deer and elk through the years with centerfires.
We have never traveled or vacationed, but now that I'm retired my wife and I are looking forward to visiting, fishing and hunting in all of the states that we can.
We have never been there but have been buying deer preference points in Wyoming, on advice of a friend that has passed on. Hopefully I can find a good DIY hunt there.
If time allows the only international travel we may do would be Australia. My father always talked highly of it from the time he spent there during WW2.
I am looking forward learning more about muzzle loaders and being part of this forum.
Bless you all

Welcome! I am from western Oregon as well. This site and it’s lil sister site modern muzzleloader is full of good info. Wyoming is a good state for hunting, Idaho is also a good state, if you are a vet Idaho is very responsibly priced. It also seems Idaho has been getting lots of out of state hunters…..

Welcome! I am from western Oregon as well. This site and it’s lil sister site modern muzzleloader is full of good info. Wyoming is a good state for hunting, Idaho is also a good state, if you are a vet Idaho is very responsibly priced. It also seems Idaho has been getting lots of out of state hunters…..
Definitely looking into Idaho and Wyoming. Just haven't been able to get there yet. I'm in pretty good health and not afraid of walking but since covid I don't have the lungs for the higher elevations. Trying to find areas less than 6,000 - 6500 feet with public access.
Appreciate any suggestions

Only thing between Banks and Forest grove is Gales Greek, I lived many years in Gaston, Hillsboro. Lets be honest OR is how a big **** hole, just another part of Cali, with all the fruits ,nuts, flanks, queers have moved north. We were back for Christmas 16-17, as we were leaving driving out on 84, the wife was not saying a word. At The Dallas I said lets stop at Cousin's for some lunch, we're seated and she still hadn't said a word, I ask what was wrong ,she started to cry and said she never wants to go back! It made us so sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back