New from Ohio with a historic long rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Pianotech70

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am from Ohio, and have a long rifle that has been in my family since 1823. As far as I can tell, it is a Lancaster long rifle from about 1774. It has an Ashmore lock that was once a flintlock and has been converted to percussion, assumedly before my family bought the gun in 1823 when they came to America. There is an almost impossible to believe story that goes with the gun and its history in my family. It is a full stock, 50 cal, with I think the original lock that has been converted. Looking to find out more about it and see if what I have been told is somewhat accurate. Looking forward to the input from those who know much more than I do.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am from Ohio, and have a long rifle that has been in my family since 1823. As far as I can tell, it is a Lancaster long rifle from about 1774. It has an Ashmore lock that was once a flintlock and has been converted to percussion, assumedly before my family bought the gun in 1823 when they came to America. There is an almost impossible to believe story that goes with the gun and its history in my family. It is a full stock, 50 cal, with I think the original lock that has been converted. Looking to find out more about it and see if what I have been told is somewhat accurate. Looking forward to the input from those who know much more than I do.
Welcome
You will do well if you can post your questions about your rifle as well as lots of photographs in the Firearms identification section on the forum.

LD

Dutch7

40 Cal
Reaction score
Welcome! Looking forward to more info on this unbelievable story.

Notchy Bob

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Welcome from Florida.

We will be needing some pictures of that rifle, and we'll want to read the story...

Notchy Bob