• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New from Houston, TX area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that cross-breeze that runs through that valley drifted my 45-70 enough that I looked like a pilgrim. I was, but I didn't want to look like one!
I'll try to come over to the hill (that's what we call it) after our October shoot on the 3rd Sunday. I'll look you up, if y'all are shooting then.
In your photos, I couldn't see the buffalo, unless it's that dark mass above the truck path. It's life-sized, but sure looks small from the firing line. It used to be painted white, which helped to see it. Never did hit it.
I like the muzzle blast in the 2nd photo!
Herman Brune has lots of deer on the ranch. If you're interested, talk to him about hunting there. He has an elevated party room / blind back on the property, approaching the Colorado River, where I've seen a whole long line of deer coming out of the woods to graze in the pastures near dusk. Herman is a real cowboy, friendly as all get-out, and fun to talk to. I hope to run into you out there.
Brazos
The wind can definitely be strange. I love how it will be blowing as hard as can be on the pig line but the turkey line flag doesn't even move, or even opposite of that combination. A good spotter is definitely required. I believe our club championship is the 2nd saturday of October, but I will confirm.

It's hard to see, but the buffalo is there, and in the second pic with the muzzle blast that's actually what I'm shooting at. It's still painted white, and it is definitely a challenge. I need to shoot at it more often. You aint kidding about the deer. I wish I had a dollar for every time they run out onto the range during a relay. I've noticed a big box blind just around the corner from the ram line. I haven't gotten to meet the man yet, but I'm sure I'll get my chance. I'd love to have the opportunity to hunt his place but I feel it isn't my place to ask.

I'd love to have the opportunity to hunt his place but I feel it isn't my place to ask.
Well, I know he gets part of our match fee, so it's a business, but based on a hand-shake. I imagine he runs the hunting like a business, too, so it would probably be just fine to ask him. Word-of-mouth, so to speak.
In fact, next time I see him, I'll ask about hunting. I'll get his contact info and forward it to you, if he has any openings.
I'm not a hunter, but if I was, she was right outside the kitchen window. Call her Generation 1. I now have Gen 4 coming to eat corn that I drop over the fence. Gen 1 is the only one that jumped over the fence. All others were babies when they first saw the fence, and they think they can't jump a 42" picket fence. But, they do play peek-a-boo with me through the fence. It's fun interacting with wildlife.
2016-07-10 Bambi In The Yard 05 Good Head Shot.JPG

Welcome from East Anglia, England, UK, home of around 35000 Americans, of which I am not one. We visit a lot, though, with friends all over Oregon, Texas, and New Mexico.
Never been over seas, but I hear the area you are in is a beautiful place. Thanks for the welcome.
Well, I know he gets part of our match fee, so it's a business, but based on a hand-shake. I imagine he runs the hunting like a business, too, so it would probably be just fine to ask him. Word-of-mouth, so to speak.
In fact, next time I see him, I'll ask about hunting. I'll get his contact info and forward it to you, if he has any openings.
I'm not a hunter, but if I was, she was right outside the kitchen window. Call her Generation 1. I now have Gen 4 coming to eat corn that I drop over the fence. Gen 1 is the only one that jumped over the fence. All others were babies when they first saw the fence, and they think they can't jump a 42" picket fence. But, they do play peek-a-boo with me through the fence. It's fun interacting with wildlife.
I appreciate it. I've seen him out and about before but we're usually in the middle of shooting steel animals, and as you know, that is very serious business.

A hunting buddy of mine lives in The Woodlands and has a game camera hidden in a patch of woods by his house. Some of the deer that are in that area are absolute monsters. I guess they can breed like rabbits when there is no hunting pressure.

Is it a slick black cadillac with solid gold hub caps? The kind that makes you feel like a king? If so I'll need a bunch of likes, because I definitely want to win it!

I shoot my flinters out at PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood. I've been a member out there (twice) for about 10 or 11 years. We don't have a range where we can shoot tin cans with rifles, but one of our rifle ranges does have steel to shoot at 50-300 yards. We do have whats called a tin can alley for rimfire and centerfire handguns how ever. It's a great club, and I'd recommend trying to join if membership opens back up.

That is actually where I shoot silhouette, with Yaupon Creek at Brune Ranch. I get a kick out listening to you fellas shoot CAS over there. We have our club championship in October, and have a big bore match coming up this weekend although I won't be able to attend. If you have the appropriate hardware you should come shoot with us sometime. We have a great time, and it's never NOT challenging with typical Texas variable winds. You'll be countin and cursing chickens and turkeys in your sleep I guarantee it.
WOW! those targets way up on the far ridge, I can just about see them let alone dare shoot at them! just not gonna happen with these 77+++yr. old PEEPERS! good luck!

View attachment 93965
ain't she just the most beautiful creature?? GOD, got it right. jmho.

Hello all, new here, just wanted to introduce myself. I put up the front stuffers years ago, but getting back into BPCR and competitively renewed my interest in traditional muzzleloaders both shooting them and hunting, and that's how I found my way here. Have a few flintlocks and I'm always looking to add to the collection. I'm more of a lurker than a poster.

-Travis
Welcome from New Braunfels

WOW! those targets way up on the far ridge, I can just about see them let alone dare shoot at them! just not gonna happen with these 77+++yr. old PEEPERS! good luck!
Now toot, that's not a good excuse! I get whooped every match by men your age and older shooting iron sights! Old age and experience always beats youth and treachery.

Back