• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a new fowler that my gun builder buddy assembled for me today. As you can see it is made of various parts that, I believe, could have been very possible in the middle to later 18th century. This fowler is based on those in Grinslade's book. In order to justify is existence, I composed a possible letter:

October 1812
Dear Grandson Christopher

I know you want to join the 22nd Regiment stationed at ft. Niagara and if you are so inclined, I am willing you my gun that has served me well. When I was with Joab Hoisington in the 1st Regiment of Connecticut during the war with France I came upon a lighter than my British musket of a French one. I gave the heavier gun to a soldier and kept the French gun. After the war I moved to Vermont and in 1777 joined a newly formed ranger company of Joab Hoisington. But alas, my French gun had broken of the stock so I traveled to New York to see a Gilbert Forbes, a highly advertised gun maker. I inquired if he could fashion a gun with parts of the old French gun with a stock styled by the trade stocks like those of Wilson

It has served we well as it is light and during our ranging very effective with ball and shot.

I wish you well dear Christopher. the gun is yours if you want it.

Your Grandfather
fullsizeoutput_2bd0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2bd1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2bd3.jpeg

IMG_2508.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2bd4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2bd5.jpeg

IMG_2511.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2bd6.jpeg

If no rain tomorrow, we'll see how the 46" Colerain 16 gauge shoots.

Pretty cool. The letter is interesting in concept, seems well thought out. Do you have research behind the gun builder's name? Just curious.

Looking forward to your after action report.

Simonbeans, that is a very nice fowler! That is something I have been looking for a while. Does your friend build these to sell?
I really like the dark stock with the metal in the white. Should be a shooter.

Mike

Latest posts

Back