• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Flintlock User

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30836

Pilgrim
Reaction score
After 20+ years of percussion pistols, revolvers and rifles, I've ventured into Flintlock shooting. I'm using a 54cal Investarm Hawken and it's proving to be reliable but I'm only getting 5-6 shots before the flint edge rounds off and gets too dull to spark. The flint contacts the frizzen at about a 30 degree angle about 1/3 of the way down. It's a tan (french?) flint.
My question, Is this normal behavior or should I be looking for a better quality flint? Is there something I missed?

" I'm only getting 5-6 shots before the flint edge rounds off and gets too dull to spark.
Welcome to Flintlocks. Now you will have two worlds of fun. There are many variables in flint life: poor flint, lock mainspring too strong, frizzen spring also too strong, attachment in the cock not firm and well cushioned with leather. Some like lead, but I prefer leather. Even good flints in a fine lock will require the flint to be knapped three, four, or 5 times in the flint's life. Other experienced flint shooter have seen short, medium and long life of every flint they have used. I have had them break on the second shot, and it isn't because my lock is not in good order. When you pack your shooting gear do not skimp on good flints and have at least a half dozen with you at all times.
Flintlocklar

Experiment with the bevel up and bevel down. At half the flint edge should be more or less 1/16" from the frizzen. Also the flint should strike the frizzen face at roughly 60 degrees so it scrapes down the face. A good flint should give 20 to 40 shots (+ or -) before needing to be knapped. Initial contact of the flint on the frizzen is usually said to be 3/4" to 1/3" from the top of the face. Learning the ins and outs of flintlocks is part of the fascination of the sport.

Agree with hanshi on degree, 55-60 degree angle. At 30 degrees yer putting excessive smack on the flint and the frizzen. Try a twig or tiny dowell like piece of wood to get a better angle.

Thanks for the advice! I'll check the "angle of attack" and order a few dozen new flints. From my reading there seems to be a lot of debate over which type of flint is best but there seems to be a majority favoring the black english flints. I did manage to get the rifle out to the range yesterday. Using 2F in the main charge and 4F in the pan gave pretty fast ignition...click/bang. Not exactly instant but very workable. I'm looking forward to climbing the learning curve.
Thanks for the help!

There was a time around 1790 that was a period of ‘patent fever’. All sorts of weird short lived inventions for shooting came out. One device automatically changed the angle it the flint on each cocking it the gun.
Don’t be afraid to flip your flint after a few shots then flip back after a few more.

I have one of those investarms rifles in 58 cal, mine likes the black English flints from TOW, I also put an RMC ventliner in it and its fast and reliable. Every rifle is different and figuring out what works best is half the fun!

I have found that keeping the frizzen clean also helps sparking. I wipe the frizzen with 91% IPA and have lightly sanded the frizzen face with 400 grit paper especially if the face gets dinged if it is not well hardened. An irregular surface doesn’t help flint life.You could also try some German flints.

I've backed my flint off a bit and changed the angle to be a little steeper. I found some small divots in the frizzen face so I smoothed it down with some 800grit emery cloth.
I'm hitting about 1/2way up the frizzen now and still getting sparks after 15 test fires.
Thanks for all the advice!

After 20+ years of percussion pistols, revolvers and rifles, I've ventured into Flintlock shooting. I'm using a 54cal Investarm Hawken and it's proving to be reliable but I'm only getting 5-6 shots before the flint edge rounds off and gets too dull to spark. The flint contacts the frizzen at about a 30 degree angle about 1/3 of the way down. It's a tan (french?) flint.
My question, Is this normal behavior or should I be looking for a better quality flint? Is there something I missed?

Check that the sear moves freely. Over tightening the bridle and or the pivot screw can prevent good sear engagement.

Also don’t over tighten the lock plate screws.

I’ve handled but one of Kibler’s SMRs. Nice tho I prefer a little more muzzle weight.

Back