• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadHorse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
i got this rifle a couple days ago and i got questions. its a Bethlehem style (which ive never heard of) and would like to know more about. second have any of you heard of a builder named "T. Williams"?

this is the gun in question
newflinter006copy.jpg

Bethlehem is a school of gun builders in Pennsylvania, that date back to the late 18th century. Check George Shumway's books to learn more about the various schools, and the names of the gunbuilders that are considered members of each school. Je Kindig, Jr., book ( Published by Shumway)Thought son the Kentucky Rifle n its Golden Age, lists A Verner, the Angstadt Family,Feder, Rupp, Moll, Pannabecker, Albrights, and a J.D. as members of this " school". There are pictures of representative works from each of the builders mentioned.

I don't know of T. Williams, but you can sometimes identify builders by checking with Track of the Wolf. They sell a lot of guns on consignment or gun makers, and may know who this person is.

GANGGREEN said:
That's a repro, right? If it's an original (and even if not), it looks sweet.

Can't answer your questions though, sorry.
lol,,,,,,more of a recreation so im told, and one heck of a shooter!

Whoever the builder is, they knew what they were doing. Very nice piece. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Beautiful rifle. I'm glad you posted the second batch of pics. The first one just didn't do the carving any justice. Congratulations on picking up a fine rifle!!

Kind of Bethlehemish. The lines of the butt-stock are straighter and the toe-piece longer than a Moll or Rupp, though they are a more a subset (Lehigh) of the Bethlehem school. The patchbox is fairly typical but the sideplate is kind of Bedfordish. REALLY nice work on the engraving and carving/reliefs/silver ribbon. Very tastfully done IMHO. Not uncommon for a modern builder to work their own preferences of the designs they like into a rifle rather than make an exact copy. Nothing wrong with that and, in the case of yours, it all fits together beautifully.

It's a nice piece and looks to be well made . . . as you note it's a shooter so that counts for double!

What you've got is an heirloom rifle that you can use and then pass down through the generations of your family.

What Joe Kindig considered the Bethlehem school covers rifles made in Northampton, Lehigh, Bucks and eastern Berks Counties. All located to the northeast of Lancaster Co. where the longrifle is to have originated.

That's a very nice rifle, good carving, engraving and a stunning piece of wood.

Is it my imagination or is that a sheet metal screw below the patchbox?

rf50cal said:
Is it my imagination or is that a sheet metal screw below the patchbox?

im told, the screw (which works as a latch) is period correct for this particular style of rifle. one side of the head is flat

45flint said:
whats the feather things near the rr pipes ?
well the "feather" things at the thimbles are scalp locks (yes real human hair). goes well with my persona at rendezvous, and other living history events. and back in the day both white man and native american would decorate everything from there clothes, to there lodges/cabins to the tack on there horses. so its not a stretch to adorn the rifle with a couple

Back