• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New flinter in the house!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike
To my untrained eye Pedersolis are fantastic and beautiful guns! That’s a nice representation of a Hawken to most of us. Lots of us like a certain look of a gun whether it’s PC or not. The gun in my picture above with my Mule deer is a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken. Welcome and enjoy!

What a crock. They are the MOST unhistorical maker out there.
Just look at the 1803 Harper's Ferry. It has pieces form 1806, and 1812 on it.
I know it was the last production rifle I ever bought.
Beside the fact we got 8 shots out of a new rifle before the frizzen broke. It took 10 months to have another made. The frizzen spring was set at 330lbs!
But then I only lost $425 bucks, and gave it to my EX when she left.
Wow. Throw buckets of water on the guy’s new purchase and his excitement. Great way to bring new life into the hobby.

Looky here. Great Plains Rifle Signature Series by Pedersoli. Lowest price I could find was $902 at Midsouth Shooters. 5 days from order it was in my hands. A production rifle, yes, but anything Pedersoli puts out is well made and close to original. A few things on this one is not authentic but certainly built well. Wood to metal is excellent. The lock's geometry seems perfect. The rear sight is adjustable, a feature I don't like. The front is a silver blade, not unlike the real Hawken we all love. The butt curve is less than the Lyman GPR, not nearly as sharp. The stock is walnut and prettier than my phone camera can capture. Double set trigger is tough to set and the final pull is really, really light. I might have to adjust both, but maybe not. Metal is dark bluing that might be better brown. Barrel is one inch across the flats. 50 cal. The rifle is heavier than any production muzzle loader I've ever held. At least that is close to the heft of an original. Can't wait to shoot it. Thanks to contributors here I got black powder, 3F and 4F, within an hour's drive. Swiss. I hope the photo of this yet to be fired rifle turns out.
Oh, a question: how far away from the history of Hawken rifles would I be if I put a peep sight on the tang?---that Lyman 57 that all GPRs are already drilled and tapped for.
Good for you! I’ve had the pleasure of bringing more than one new muzzleloader home and spending many a pleasant moment rubbing my oily paws all over it and thinking of the various roles these played in our history. We share in your excitement and a hearty welcome from Minnesota.

Pedersoli bp rifles have provided me with a lot of happy memories and hunting. I also experienced a broken frizzen, then cock, and a rough trigger that required gentle filing. Nonetheless, for the money it’s not possible to find another brand new, factory made, safe bp firearm. If it makes you happy, that’s all that matters

This site is new to me. It seems made up of good people. I will probably be the biggest problem though, asking so many questions. I can already see a truck load of knowledge and experience. I hope you will keep me around.
I'm sorry you received such a vehement rebuttal on a happy occasion. Please stick around. Even though as a Georgian I am opposed to nearly all things Florida, this is a place for mutual enjoyment of a shared passtime and hobby. We do have our spats, and we all get riled up about things we shouldn't, but please stick around. Congrats again on the new rifle.

Awesome! Like yourself, I like the look of the great plains rifles and won a trade rifle on one of the popular auction sites a few days ago. I can't wait to get it in my hands. My budget was a little smaller, but I will be tickled to put it to good use on the range. If yours has any issues there are plenty of good folks here that will help you work thru them. Welcome to the group from Wise VA and post some good pics of it when you can.

Good for you! I’ve had the pleasure of bringing more than one new muzzleloader home and spending many a pleasant moment rubbing my oily paws all over it and thinking of the various roles these played in our history. We share in your excitement and a hearty welcome from Minnesota.
Don't worry so much about history, just do what makes it better for your intended use! If you're ever at a picky-picky re-enactment, you can remove the sight for a while.

Awesome! Like yourself, I like the look of the great plains rifles and won a trade rifle on one of the popular auction sites a few days ago. I can't wait to get it in my hands. My budget was a little smaller, but I will be tickled to put it to good use on the range. If yours has any issues there are plenty of good folks here that will help you work thru them. Welcome to the group from Wise VA and post some good pics of it when you can.
Scott - good to hear from a Virginia man. Although I'm in FL now for my wife's sake, VA is my home. I lived in Fincastlet, north of Roanoke on 220. Lots of good mountain hunting. My work took me to Wise County no few times. I lived in Big Stone Gap for a while. Lordy it got cold there. I spent my probation time with the state police in Grundy and learned to admire and respect the people there. Much later I returned to your area many times on criminal and internal investigations. The girls and women of SW VA are striking and the troopers there often got in trouble.
Anyway, I was out of muzzleloading a long time due to being married to the dept. Now retired, I got back in with the GPR. I've owned two previously when they were Investarms. A little or a lot of tinkering made them into respectable rifles. This new Pedersoli model promises a better gun. My spouse is not amused at all the new replacement needs a muzzleloader woodsman needs. I have invested a lot in possibles. If the GPR doesn't work out, I'm screwed. A truth my son told me is that you can lead a cow upstairs but you can't make her descend - the very definition of screwed.
You take care, and if you don't mind little advice, never ever move from VA.

Scott - good to hear from a Virginia man. Although I'm in FL now for my wife's sake, VA is my home. I lived in Fincastlet, north of Roanoke on 220. Lots of good mountain hunting. My work took me to Wise County no few times. I lived in Big Stone Gap for a while. Lordy it got cold there. I spent my probation time with the state police in Grundy and learned to admire and respect the people there. Much later I returned to your area many times on criminal and internal investigations. The girls and women of SW VA are striking and the troopers there often got in trouble.
Anyway, I was out of muzzleloading a long time due to being married to the dept. Now retired, I got back in with the GPR. I've owned two previously when they were Investarms. A little or a lot of tinkering made them into respectable rifles. This new Pedersoli model promises a better gun. My spouse is not amused at all the new replacement needs a muzzleloader woodsman needs. I have invested a lot in possibles. If the GPR doesn't work out, I'm screwed. A truth my son told me is that you can lead a cow upstairs but you can't make her descend - the very definition of screwed.
You take care, and if you don't mind little advice, never ever move from VA.
I have lived in VA my entire life except for my military time in the south and middle East with no plans of ever moving. I have a Trade rifle coming my way perhaps next week I won on an auction site, so I'm hoping it will be a decent rifle too.

Latest posts

Back