• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New flinter in the house!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looky here. Great Plains Rifle Signature Series by Pedersoli. Lowest price I could find was $902 at Midsouth Shooters. 5 days from order it was in my hands. A production rifle, yes, but anything Pedersoli puts out is well made and close to original. A few things on this one is not authentic but certainly built well. Wood to metal is excellent. The lock's geometry seems perfect. The rear sight is adjustable, a feature I don't like. The front is a silver blade, not unlike the real Hawken we all love. The butt curve is less than the Lyman GPR, not nearly as sharp. The stock is walnut and prettier than my phone camera can capture. Double set trigger is tough to set and the final pull is really, really light. I might have to adjust both, but maybe not. Metal is dark bluing that might be better brown. Barrel is one inch across the flats. 50 cal. The rifle is heavier than any production muzzle loader I've ever held. At least that is close to the heft of an original. Can't wait to shoot it. Thanks to contributors here I got black powder, 3F and 4F, within an hour's drive. Swiss. I hope the photo of this yet to be fired rifle turns out.
Oh, a question: how far away from the history of Hawken rifles would I be if I put a peep sight on the tang?---that Lyman 57 that all GPRs are already drilled and tapped for.

Attachments

• IMG_20220712_222006.jpg
    IMG_20220712_222006.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 5
I will sir. For now I just sit and look at it mounted on the beam separating rooms in my house. I surely do find comfort in admiring and imagining. Not a good thing to be so attached to an item, I don't reckon. A quality piece, anything from Pedersoli.

A production rifle, yes, but anything Pedersoli puts out is well made and close to original.
What a crock. They are the MOST unhistorical maker out there.
Just look at the 1803 Harper's Ferry. It has pieces form 1806, and 1812 on it.
I know it was the last production rifle I ever bought.
Beside the fact we got 8 shots out of a new rifle before the frizzen broke. It took 10 months to have another made. The frizzen spring was set at 330lbs!
But then I only lost $425 bucks, and gave it to my EX when she left.

What a crock. They are the MOST unhistorical maker out there.
Just look at the 1803 Harper's Ferry. It has pieces form 1806, and 1812 on it.
I know it was the last production rifle I ever bought.
Johnny is just not pleased with the things a lot of us have. I think he is out numbered here on his thoughts. Everyone is entitled though.

Beside the fact we got 8 shots out of a new rifle before the frizzen broke. It took 10 months to have another made. The frizzen spring was set at 330lbs!
But then I only lost $425 bucks, and gave it to my EX when she left.
the sting of disappointment sometime colors all future activities.
i am thankful i have low expectations of man and mechanical beasts.
i usually take things that are below par as a challenge to improve. gives on old guy something to do!
i must agree though with Johnny though that there are many things that all manufacturers do that are not that hard to improve on.
that is the fun of the sport.

Looky here. Great Plains Rifle Signature Series by Pedersoli. Lowest price I could find was $902 at Midsouth Shooters. 5 days from order it was in my hands. A production rifle, yes, but anything Pedersoli puts out is well made and close to original. A few things on this one is not authentic but certainly built well. Wood to metal is excellent. The lock's geometry seems perfect. The rear sight is adjustable, a feature I don't like. The front is a silver blade, not unlike the real Hawken we all love. The butt curve is less than the Lyman GPR, not nearly as sharp. The stock is walnut and prettier than my phone camera can capture. Double set trigger is tough to set and the final pull is really, really light. I might have to adjust both, but maybe not. Metal is dark bluing that might be better brown. Barrel is one inch across the flats. 50 cal. The rifle is heavier than any production muzzle loader I've ever held. At least that is close to the heft of an original. Can't wait to shoot it. Thanks to contributors here I got black powder, 3F and 4F, within an hour's drive. Swiss. I hope the photo of this yet to be fired rifle turns out.
Oh, a question: how far away from the history of Hawken rifles would I be if I put a peep sight on the tang?---that Lyman 57 that all GPRs are already drilled and tapped for.
Don't worry about being 'far away from history'! Unless you're doing a presentation that has to be historically correct, do what you want and like and what works for your purposes. Thanks for telling us about this nice new item you bought!

Back