• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New find outside Charleston SC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfisher76544

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are a couple of x-rays of a British Musket found outside of Charleston. The xrays show that the musket is still loaded and just so happens to be loaded with 'buck and ball', thought some of ya'll would enjoy the picts.

The front load is separated by a "filler" from the main ball to prevent "ringing" the barrel and jamming the load !!! Fillers could be corn-meal/oats or such material that would compress... Great load to repel a charging enemy....

:hmm:

Are any additional details available? When was it found? How was it discovered? Who found it? Where? Where is it now?

Even though relics like this are physically solid pieces of rust, they evoke more of the "been there, done that" than pieces still in pristine condition sitting in museum display cases.

Thanks for posting that link to the FB page.Lots of interesting pictures. :thumbsup:

WITH that entrypipe metal for sure and you can still see the metal ram rod in place in the bottom photo . :)

I didn't do the FB link, so maybe I'm repeating what is there... google Brown Bess, enlarge the x-ray photo and look at the info accompanying the file, there's good stuff there.

Spence

George said:
I didn't do the FB link, so maybe I'm repeating what is there... google Brown Bess, enlarge the x-ray photo and look at the info accompanying the file, there's good stuff there.

Spence

Thanks Spence, I got more info from that site.

This is a CT scan x-ray image of a Brown Bess musket, believed to be a 1769 short land pattern, that was recovered in 2012 by LAMP (Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program) archaeologists from the Storm Wreck, a colonial period shipwreck believed to have wrecked on 31 December 1782. This vessel was likely from the final fleet to evacuate Loyalist refugees and British troops from Charleston to St. Augustine at the end of the American Revolution. The x-ray shows that this musket was loaded with the "buck and ball" commonly used by American Rebels (and in this case, by British redcoats). The Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program is the research arm of the St. Augustine Lighthouse & Museum. Photograph should be attributed to Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program.

Wow, that is really interesting. So it was powder,powder wad (buck and ball), then corn meal, 5 smaller pellets, then an overshot card?

Back