• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New English shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon, chaps and ladies! Thank you for accepting me on this forum. Living in France. Over here one can still get BP guns just with ID over the counter so I have done! (In my home country of England you have to do a shed load of paperwork and have the Police examining your house once a year even for BP guns.) Currently I own a Pietta steel 1858 Remington Army .44 and an Investarms Hawken rifle .45. As there aren't many people like me this side of the pond, I look forward to sharing ideas and advice with you all! Thanks again.

Good afternoon, chaps and ladies! Thank you for accepting me on this forum. Living in France. Over here one can still get BP guns just with ID over the counter so I have done! (In my home country of England you have to do a shed load of paperwork and have the Police examining your house once a year even for BP guns.) Currently I own a Pietta steel 1858 Remington Army .44 and an Investarms Hawken rifle .45. As there aren't many people like me this side of the pond, I look forward to sharing ideas and advice with you all! Thanks again.
Always nice to see comments from our English friends. Looking back in history, isn't it a shame that the English and French could not have been friends, instead of always engaging in the Wars in the 18th & 19th Century. The USA certainly benefitted from the help the French gave us during our War of Independence. Welcome.

In France can you get powder and ball without trouble?
No trouble at all - you need a 'Category C' license (Thats the basic one) to buy canisters of powder, but thats no problem and its easy to obtain. Ball and Caps (and guns) you can get over the counter just with basic ID, but everything costs almost twice as much as it does in the US. Even though many of the Italian gun manufacturers are only a days drive from me, the prices are still more than the US and Canada!

Always nice to see comments from our English friends. Looking back in history, isn't it a shame that the English and French could not have been friends, instead of always engaging in the Wars in the 18th & 19th Century. The USA certainly benefitted from the help the French gave us during our War of Independence. Welcome.
Absolutely! We only kissed and made up after it was too late!

No wonder you moved to France! I've had an FAC in UK since 1968, and I've NEVER been visited by the police. In fact, without 'due cause. 'belief in criminal activity having been taking place' or evidence of 'wrong-doing' AND a search warrant, the police in UK can NOT 'examine' your house for ANY reason.

Unlike France.

No wonder you moved to France! I've had an FAC in UK since 1968, and I've NEVER been visited by the police. In fact, without 'due cause. 'belief in criminal activity having been taking place' or evidence of 'wrong-doing' AND a search warrant, the police in UK can NOT 'examine' your house for ANY reason.

Unlike France.
I'm glad you have corrected me regarding the frequency of police checks on FAC holders in the UK. When I originally got my shotgun certificate in the UK years ago (for re enactment purposes) I think I must have misread this somewhere as I wanted to upgrade to a FAC but felt daunted by the admin and possible Police checks.

I'm glad you have corrected me regarding the frequency of police checks on FAC holders in the UK. When I originally got my shotgun certificate in the UK years ago (for re enactment purposes) I think I must have misread this somewhere as I wanted to upgrade to a FAC but felt daunted by the admin and possible Police checks.

I'm saddened to read that you didn't read up enough to get it straight in your mind. Basically there are NO 'police checks' on an FAC holder unless you screw the pooch or do something that attracts the attention of the law.

FWIW, I've never had the need for a shotgun, even though we live in a very rural county - I've always been a rifle or handgun shooter all my shooting life, which began when I was just six years old, back in 1952.

I hope you have now found what you are looking for. We have some very pleasant and knowledgeable French posters here, BTW.

Back