• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradgear

32 Cal
Reaction score
I traded a Bushnell 3200 3x9x50 for this New Englander 50 cal. The guy I got it from had it for years and said that he had never shot it. I don't think that it had ever been shot before. I shot it some and cleaned it back up. It took a little dialing in, but it's 2" high at 50yds. I was shooting T/C Maxi Balls and 90gr Hodgdon triple 7. I may back it down to 80gr. (Kicks like a mule) It had some safe dings and scratches on the stock. I touched the scratches up with Red Oak stain. I like it. I can't decide which rifle I should use first to hunt with. I have gotten three new, to me, rifles this summer. This one, a nice Renegade in 50, and a Scout in 50.
(the white speck on the stock is paint that I haven't dealt with yet)
View attachment 163549View attachment 163550 62099B7D-DAA3-4F1D-8E7E-D729C4A90159.jpeg606E1295-8434-4576-B25F-40372AD84968.jpeg

You've had a good summer!

I too picked up a used but well cared for New Englander at an auction last month. Using 80gr Scheutzen 2F pushing a 320gr TC Maxi-Ball accuracy at 50yds is quite satisfactory. It was a birthday gift for my 15 year old daughter and she is anxious to take it afield in her first season as a junior deer hunter.

Are you having any ignition issues using T7? Several years ago I bought a pound out of necessity as I wasn't able to source my Goex 2F. I had alot of issues with poor ignition in my percussion Renegade.

There are a couple more TCs I'd like to add to our modest collection at some point. A Renegade or Hawken 54 and a Seneca 45

Looks real nice. Maybe try a round ball if it kicks.

I bought a roached barrel 54 New Englander with a synthetic stock and sent it to Bobby Hoyt for the works. I ended up with a nice 58 in round ball twist. It was a little finicky for ignition until I switched to musket caps. No ignition issues and I will take it hunting next month.

You've had a good summer!

I too picked up a used but well cared for New Englander at an auction last month. Using 80gr Scheutzen 2F pushing a 320gr TC Maxi-Ball accuracy at 50yds is quite satisfactory. It was a birthday gift for my 15 year old daughter and she is anxious to take it afield in her first season as a junior deer hunter.

Are you having any ignition issues using T7? Several years ago I bought a pound out of necessity as I wasn't able to source my Goex 2F. I had alot of issues with poor ignition in my percussion Renegade.

There are a couple more TCs I'd like to add to our modest collection at some point. A Renegade or Hawken 54 and a Seneca 45
I haven't had any trouble with ignition.

It's been a while since I've used any triple 7, if memory serves me correctly, black powder loads should be reduced by 15 percent when using triple 7.

I burned through a couple pounds of triple 7 a few years back. I used a hotshot nipple and CCI primers and had no ignition issues.
Yes, I will probably back it down to 80gr and give it a try.

Nice! I'm scouting around for a New Englander. Have only had BP handguns - no rifles. How long is the barrel?

Walnut stocked New Englanders had 26 or 27 inch barrels. Synthetic stocked ones had 24 inch. But as much as these thisnds have been shopped, swapped around and pieced together it might have either length no matter which stock you have.

I went to the range yesterday with my 50 cal New Englander and shot 3” five shot group at 50 yards. 80 gr Pyrodex RS, wad over powder & 360 gr maxi balls. I was shooting from a sitting position, range does not allow standing, but most recently the change I made that considerably improved my accuracy is the use of shooting sticks. They are 14” long hinged 2” from the top.

Attachments

• DA3037B4-4DE8-4375-A949-3F5EB15E6D98.jpeg
    DA3037B4-4DE8-4375-A949-3F5EB15E6D98.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
An absolute add on for any New Englander is a 12 ga. barrel, with that you have a good turkey gun or deer gun where only shotguns are allowed.
Also a great addition is a .54 barrel.
As I previously mentioned in another post with the 12 ga. barrel and the .50 or .54 rifled barrel, one has the greatest combination for most any use possible.
They are amazing guns. If taken care of, they will only grow in value and desire.
Although they are not traditional in design, they are beautiful in a modern sense.
They are keepers for any true gun collector.

An absolute add on for any New Englander is a 12 ga. barrel, with that you have a good turkey gun or deer gun where only shotguns are allowed.
Also a great addition is a .54 barrel.
As I previously mentioned in another post with the 12 ga. barrel and the .50 or .54 rifled barrel, one has the greatest combination for most any use possible.
They are amazing guns. If taken care of, they will only grow in value and desire.
Although they are not traditional in design, they are beautiful in a modern sense.
They are keepers for any true gun collector.
Couldn’t agree more. I have the 50 cal and 12 ga barrels, the 50 shoots beautifully and I’m still working on understanding the shotgun use in general. I think my 12 ga will accept a choke but I read that most folks don’t use them due to the need to remove in order to reload. At any rate my next adventure is to understand the 12 ga pattern w/o a choke.

Couldn’t agree more. I have the 50 cal and 12 ga barrels, the 50 shoots beautifully and I’m still working on understanding the shotgun use in general. I think my 12 ga will accept a choke but I read that most folks don’t use them due to the need to remove in order to reload. At any rate my next adventure is to understand the 12 ga pattern w/o a choke.
Hi & good morning,
To get your New Englander 12 ga. to perform better as a full or modified choke, get it jug choked.
I machined one a few years back, it was smooth bored, with no acceptable pattern past twenty yards.
After jug choking, it would shoot a 24" pattern at 45 yards, with #6 shot.
For a full choke, you need enlargement of .020"
It was a great improvement!
It is hard to get the short barrel on the New Englander to perform, without that modification.
It is easy to reload also.
I hope this helps!
Fred

Hi & good morning,
To get your New Englander 12 ga. to perform better as a full or modified choke, get it jug choked.
I machined one a few years back, it was smooth bored, with no acceptable pattern past twenty yards.
After jug choking, it would shoot a 24" pattern at 45 yards, with #6 shot.
For a full choke, you need enlargement of .020"
It was a great improvement!
It is hard to get the short barrel on the New Englander to perform, without that modification.
It is easy to reload also.
I hope this helps.

if it is a screw in choke barrel do not SHOOT IT WITH OUT A CHOKE TUBE IN BARREL. IF YOU WANT IT UNCHOKED GET A CYLINDER BORE TUBE. SEVERAL OTHER BRANDS OF CHOKE FIT THE T/C GOOGLE IT. sorry bout the caps ,didnt want to rewrite.

Back