• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Englander Value Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are. M.

NC NMLRA Field Rep, NRA ML Instructor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So theres a TC New Englander for ~175 at a pawn shop in Mississippi. Synthetic stock, a little rust around the breech, and some rust in the barrel. Can't really tell if the bore is great or not. If the bore is good, do y'all think this would be a good buy?

RM

Take an empty .38 special cartridge and drop it empty end down the bore. Shine a flashlight down the bore and you will see what you are up against. Show them the bore and you can buy it for less. They don't always clean up!
Nit Wit

Take an empty .38 special cartridge and drop it empty end down the bore. Shine a flashlight down the bore and you will see what you are up against. Show them the bore and you can buy it for less. They don't always clean up!
Nit Wit
Nit Wit
Thanks for the tip. I just tried that on a couple of my own t/c rifles.

So theres a TC New Englander for ~175 at a pawn shop in Mississippi. Synthetic stock, a little rust around the breech, and some rust in the barrel. Can't really tell if the bore is great or not. If the bore is good, do y'all think this would be a good buy?

RM
I have had the same since the 90,s. I would not part with it for any amount. If the bore is in good shape jump on it.

it's in a pawn shop so, he's in it for about 50 bucks(or less). use the rust as a bargainin' chip and meet him somewhere between there & his askin' price.

Well, he wouldn't come off the price, but I got it anyway. We'll see what happens after I clean it up. A little Scotchbrite goes a long way. So does Bobby Hoyt. Whats the scoop on boring the barrel out to 20 gauge?

Well, he wouldn't come off the price, but I got it anyway. We'll see what happens after I clean it up. A little Scotchbrite goes a long way. So does Bobby Hoyt. Whats the scoop on boring the barrel out to 20 gauge?
That’s probably doable. Bobby would be able to tell you. T/C made a 12ga. barrel for those so a 20 should be fine.

So the rifle isn't complete junk. The bore isn't perfect. The lands are in pretty good shape after a little Scotchbrite therapy, but the grooves are still pretty pitted.

The sights though.
Oh, man.

Someone knocked the front sight out, filed down the dovetail on the barrel, then reattached the front sight with epoxy. I assume they were attempting to lower the front sight through filing the dovetail. Yikes. When that didn't work they took that bead on the TC sights and removed it.

That's not even the worst part! The rear sight is some fiber-optic knock off that looks like it came off a pellet gun, doesn't even fit the profile of the barrel, and the was only attached by one screw because the sight's screw holes didn't match up with the rifle's. Similar epoxy treatment.

Still not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Any suggestions?

So the rifle isn't complete junk. The bore isn't perfect. The lands are in pretty good shape after a little Scotchbrite therapy, but the grooves are still pretty pitted.

The sights though.
Oh, man.

Someone knocked the front sight out, filed down the dovetail on the barrel, then reattached the front sight with epoxy. I assume they were attempting to lower the front sight through filing the dovetail. Yikes. When that didn't work they took that bead on the TC sights and removed it.

That's not even the worst part! The rear sight is some fiber-optic knock off that looks like it came off a pellet gun, doesn't even fit the profile of the barrel, and the was only attached by one screw because the sight's screw holes didn't match up with the rifle's. Similar epoxy treatment.

Hire a private detective to search for and locate the person who did that. Remove the barrel from the stock and use it to beat him about the head and shoulders. Other than that I got nothing.

The sights though.
Oh, man.

All things l would’ve pointed out in the store & either walked out with the gun for 75 bucks or walked out with 75 bucks in my pocket. A front sight to fit the oversized dovetail won’t be too hard to fabricate and Williams(and probably others) make rears you can make work with only one screw if you can’t find/use a factory rear sight.

Try it & see how it shoots after a good cleaning. If it don’t suit you Mr. Hoyt could make it a 54 or 58cal rifle or 62cal/20ga smoothbore.

Yeah. If I'd have gotten it for that price, it'd already be on the way to Bobby. This guy wasn't listening, though, and I honestly should've left it on the rack for him to deal with. I hate it, but this one might wind up as parts on the great auction website in the sky.

Didn't he let you look at it in the store? I think the seller knew that you wanted it no matter the price. You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away when the dealin's done.

Didn't he let you look at it in the store? I think the seller knew that you wanted it no matter the price. You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away when the dealin's done.

Exactly what l was saying. Only, it didn’t take you nearly as many words. LOL

Heat should loosen the epoxy, and a filler can be made to fill the front dovetail. In that the TCs have swappable barrels, finding another barrel, a good barrel shouldn't be a problem. The NE barrels are interchangeable with Grey Hawk and Tree Hawk, and High Plains Sporter, so .50, .54, 12ga are out there in various lengths and rifling twists.

Back