• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New England style horn finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished this horn. It’s based on 2 originals considered to be later 1700s New England horns. One was paneled with a scalloped transition and the plug design is from an original I own. The made up story about the faces in the R and the P is that the horn owner started off to war happily on 2 legs and returned with one leg and a more stern countenance.
D58D8DF2-D694-4635-87C9-B2EDCF59C976.jpeg
71CC0E94-E8BC-4773-BC3C-D5959F6F351B.jpeg
7B56DDA8-9E2C-4FAD-94FD-865F03A29912.jpeg
8BE487DE-0D69-4E96-A132-40CE936F68B0.jpeg

Attachments

• D03C4DDC-5D13-435B-BC94-39D6A23386D4.jpeg
    D03C4DDC-5D13-435B-BC94-39D6A23386D4.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 54
Very good what you've done. Good original story , good color , skillful lettering and artful design. I don't make fancy powder horns , but have collected a few originals over the years. I like this one .......Luck to ya............oldwood

You do beautiful work, Rich. The sculpting on your new horn is unlike anything I've seen before. A very tasteful and well-executed blend of creativity and tradition.

Notchy Bob

Ok........I give up......What kinda stuff did ya age it with. ???????...Or is it top secret?????
I have a huge stainless steel pot in which I brewed 6 large teabags used to make batches of iced tea, a lot of saved dry onion skin peels (the dry brown ones that shuck off), and about 2 cups of packed Osage orange wood spokeshave shavings. I heated it from cold then boiled for half an hour then stuck the horn in there. I held it under for about 10 minutes. This works great on amber colored horns. On white it runs more yellow-brown. Osage shavings also stain wool, but yellowish. It doesn’t stain non-protein stuff like cotton.

Thanks Rich for the explanation. Love how the three horns are the same aged looks. You're in a different league than most. I've had the privilege to know a guy that was maybe one the best artistic forgers alive , back in the early 1970's. He encouraged me to stretch my m/l art , and I'm thankful to have met him . ....................oldwood

That's a lovely horn. I know Southern banded horns are in fashion at the moment, but this Georgia boy finds many Yankee horns prettier than ours.

Came to the conclusion that there isn't enough finished horns . They are so much fun to make , and no specialized tools are needed , just like it was in olden times. I enjoy making them and using them as shooting match prizes , and just giving them away to unsuspecting m/l shooters. I'm a fan of Jim Webb's book of Appalachian horns , pouches , and the stuff that went into them. His drawings are excellent , many of them are actual size. His collection of artifacts has modified my thinking of how these items are represented. ... oldwood

Back