• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New EMF 1851 Pepperbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took a lot of sleepless nights to come up with that answer to a question that nobody ever asked! Its like taking the engine out of an F86 to make a jet engined P40 in 1956. I doubt any "frontier gunsmith" would spend much time taking such a giant leap backwards. Now that I have that out of the way it could be a fun gun if anyone wern't concerned with historical (or shooting) accuracy. I have one of the Gold Rush all metal .22 caliber peperboxes and it is a blast to shoot using airgun pellets and I would love to have a Hoppe's copy of an Allen pepperbox.

No you would not love a Hoppes copy of the Allen pepperbox. I had one and tinkered with it off and on for years and never could get it to reliably pop a cap. :shake:

That is one wierd looking pistol :idunno:

Hope they did their market research -- I can't imagine anyone buying it.

It's obviously an attempt to make it look modern. They did a poor job, IMO.

I used to want a Duck's Foot, but not EVERYONE was cheating at the card table! :rotf:

They made 'em from three barrels up to eight barrels. and with a short knife or a mini bayonet. :hmm:

That is an ugly pistol. I have seen a picture of an original Colt percussion revolver that had the original cylinder held in place with screw like they have done on this one. I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble to make a whole separate cylinder for a contraption like that. Waste of money IMHO.

hawkeye2 said:
not EVERYONE was cheating at the card table!

Are you sure? :confused:

duckfoot3-1.jpg

This should get them all!

The heck with the rest of you guy's I LIKE IT.
Yea the first ones were JUNK.But Pietta is making
some really good stuff now.

If it not to $$$$ I would buy one for sure.

COOL Fly :thumbsup:

Apparently this model may have had some sort of a historical precedent. :hatsoff:

This is a modern version of a handgun assembled by a frontier gunsmith in the 1850's or 1860's using miscellaneous parts found in his shop. In doing this, he attached the barrel cluster from a Blunt & Syms "Dragoon" pepperbox to the frame of a Colt revolver. The resulting pistol was a better-balanced piece than the usual pepperbox.. Moreover, this pistol was far better suited for the use of the multi-ball loads, which increased the owner's chance of hitting his target.

In the combination set you get two revolvers in one! Shoot the Pepperbox cluster then when you feel like shooting your 1851 .36 caliber black powder revolver just switch back to your usual barrel and cylinder.
http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1851-Pepperbox-c310.htm[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hoppe's pepper box was well made, had velocity punch with that longish cylinder, but you couldn't hit squat with it, but far exceeded the Classic Arms.
So any new gun is always well welcomed

Old Ford

junkman_01 said:
Apparently you have been duped by EMF's marketing people. Sheeesh!

It does have a cylinder that somewhat resembles that found one the Blunt & Syms underhammer Pepperbox.
Since there must have been a lot of them produced over the course of their 30 years of production, at least it provides some historical plausibility for reenactors and the entire reenactment community.
That's similar to the current existence of the Colt 1851 .44 Navy revolvers. Whether any were actually ever built by Colt or not isn't really an issue. They are built now and exist today just as if Colt had built them himself. Maybe Colt didn't, but at least some folks acknowledge that he could have even if it was only a prototype.
http://www.antiqueswords.com/produ...r-Pepperbox-Revolver--ca.-1830-s--1860-s-.htm
http://www.19thcenturyweapons.com/309/caseblunt.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Since there must have been a lot of them produced over the course of their 30 years of production, at least it provides some historical plausibility for reenactors and the entire reenactment community.
Not in MY book! JMNSHO

So is that rascal going to be supplied with a regular barrel and cylinder together with an interchangeable pepperbox cylinder? If so it would give you the option of turning your revolver into a snake charmer when you're wading brush and bog. Shucks, around here I find at least one copper head in the back yard every year.

I agree with Hawkeye. I have an original Manhattan pepperbox I picked up at an estate sale. Fun to look at. Fun to handle. Lousy to shoot. :haha:
All that considered, it is definitely "cuter" than this throwback.

Back