• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New early cannons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commodore Swab

Blunderbuss Builder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been working on a mold and have it ready now to start producing wax or concrete (decoration only) cannons and would like your opinions. The intention is to cast a bronze shell that will go around a steel cannon barrel.

IMG_20150505_072641.jpg

IMG_20150505_072636.jpg

IMG_20150505_072625.jpg

The dragon cascabel is not an exact copy but close to that of an original along with the dolphins and Spanish coat of arms. The other decoration is taken off a different cannon. Overall the length is 2 feet, I will be able to make them with a 1.75, 2, 2.5, or 3 inch bore. Basically a beefy shorty.

Commodore Swab said:
The dragon cascabel is not an exact copy but close to that of an original along with the dolphins and Spanish coat of arms. The other decoration is taken off a different cannon. Overall the length is 2 feet, I will be able to make them with a 1.75, 2, 2.5, or 3 inch bore. Basically a beefy shorty.

I heard on TV or maybe read it that the early ship cannon were breech loaders since they didn't have a method for rolling the cannon in and muzzle loading them. That came later. The breeches were sealed by driving in a wedge-shaped block between the breech and the barrel. Pretty weak compared to later on.

Good models!

Back