• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New double .50 cal. pistol from Pedersoli seen at Shot Show

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrismico

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw a new prototype double .50 caliber pistol at the Dixie Gun Works booth at the Shot Show in Orlando. Gloria, the Pedersoli rep was there and she explained that the gun was called the Howdah. It is named for the saddle used to ride elephants and this is where the gun was used for protection.

The gun will be available with double .50 calibers, a .50 caliber and 20 gauge combination, or double 20 gauge configuration. It is a beautiful pistol with a warthog on one side and a leopard on the other. If you would like to own one, as I would, start asking your favorite distributor about it and when it will be available.

I tried to find it online and neither dixie nor Pedersoli have it up yet. Interesting though- I did find some old high road posts were people were wondering out loud about how neat it would be if dixie and pedersoli would bring one out.

Either somebody is reading the forums or some people have been lobbying for it.

Hi,

I already had the gun in hands when I was on holiday in italy last october.

We weren´t far away and so we drove there. A tourist and his wife friday afternoon ringing on the companys door and asking if they can come in and visit the company...

Well, we got our own private showing-around maybe an hour or so, got a little gift and went off happy. Unthinkable in a german gun-factory I would say. What if I were a terrorist?

I´m getting off topic. Just wanted to mention it because they were as friendly as can be to us.
While we became showing around we came to the part of the factory where the guns get assembled. At that time they were working on those double-barel-pistols
No hiding it from the stranger. "This is our new model. Please, take a look at it sir."
I found it very nice, a bit heavy maybe but I guess there´s no way preventing that with a double barel. Maybe not the gun to win a target-shooting-competition but no doubt a gun to have fun with. :winking:
(If I had rats or so around my house this gun would be one of my first choices. Hard days would come up for them... :surrender: )
The want-to-have-feeling came up a bit but unfortunatly over here we need a license for ML´s with more shots than one. I have it but it´s more circumstances than buying a GPR or so.

Many greetings from bavaria

romeoh

I would buy one in a split second!
if they will go to production sigh :blah:

It wasn´t just a prototype what I held in my hands.
They were already in production.
I can imagine you won´t have to wait long...

romeoh

Me too, 4bore! I started muzzleloading with a double barrel pistol. I'd jump at the chance to buy another. And in 20 gauge too! *drools*

This new pistol sounds great! The only thing that I worry about is the legality of a shotgun pistol.

Post Rider said:
This new pistol sounds great! The only thing that I worry about is the legality of a shotgun pistol.

Short barrel shotgun laws don't apply to muzzleloaders.

yep or me and u both would be up da creek with out a paddle with our blunderbusses :blah: :rotf:

romeoh,
Did they happen to mention what the
suggested retail price mite be????
snake-eyes :hmm:

I´m sorry, we didn´t speak about it.

They are only selling via their importers and so they don´t make any statements about prices to the end-customer.

For example the prices over here are much higher than in the states.
If you want to take a look:[url] http://www.blackpowderno1.de/shop/index.php/cPath/66/XTCsid/c242e0bbcb038641a89ee19e375d4fee[/url]
Those prices are in €; 1,-€ is about 1,3$...

The one I could see had a bit "carved" lockplates. Normally a sign for a not to low price in the pedersoli-pricelist.

romeoh

Last edited by a moderator:
How long are the barrels on that new gun? On the question of short barreled muzzleloading smoothbores , federal law doesn't apply but there may be some oddball state restrictions.

I don’t know the exact length of the barrels. It was in a glass display case on a wall a little above eye level. They might be about 12 inches. It had a large curved fluted wood pistol grip with a heavy looking metal butt piece. You are not supposed to take pictures at the Shot Show, although I saw plenty of people doing it. I wish I had asked if it would be alright, but at the time I was more interested in talking to Gloria than thinking about picture taking.

I believe the barrel length is not a concern in reference to the shotgun barrels due to the fact that it is a muzzleloader. As most of you know, muzzleloaders are not considered firearms and therefore are not subject to firearms laws such as the minimum length of 18 inches on shotgun barrels.

I have asked Hunter Kirkland, the Dixie Gun Works representative, to try to get some pictures for me that I can post. He asked me to call him back on Wednesday, so I will and if I can get pictures I will post them. He said the gun may be going back to Italy, but it also might go with him back to Dixie Gun Works. Based on some of the excellent information posted in this thread, it sounds like the gun may be available soon if not already in some places.

Heres an original dixie has for sale German 65 caliber and no doubt smooth bore:
16583.JPG

Latest posts

Back