• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New CVA mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry P

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I've been a member of this form for sometime and this is my first post so bare with me. I've been in muzzle loading for fifty plus years and never have I owned a CVA gun until today. I bought a .45 cal mountain hawken style rifle never been shot I was told and im pretty sure it hasn't been either. Written on the barrel it said made in the USA. I was under the impression all CVA guns were made in Italy or spain. Could this be true? I went to clean the bore and it seems grossly over size for a .45 calibre. It took a .50 cal cleaning jag to clean the rifling. Most .45 rifles I've own shoot a .440 RB but a .440 with the patch just fell down the bore. I then tried a .451 RB same thing. I tried my ROA .457 and they seem a much better fit. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Seemed rather odd to me. I only paid $100 for the rifle so don't think I got hurt at all just hope it shoots straight. I hope to hear from someone on this matter. Thanks much.

Hey sounds like an early CVA rifle. I would guess it’s probably a .50 cal then.? Take a Calibers to it and measure it. Do you have a picture? Does it have octagon or round ramrod thimbles?. Can’t beat the price that’s for sure. I picked up a CVA 58 caliber big bore a few weeks back from my local gun shop. 150 bucks no brainer. In the process of refinishing it now.

Wrong forum this is for forum help and support. Post this in percussion or flintlock rifles in the firearms section.

I own the exact made in USA rifle you describe. A 440 and 15 thou patch is tight and very accurate. Was it possible that someone re-bore the barrel without stamping new bore size? I’ll be interested in finding the outcom.

I own the exact made in USA rifle you describe. A 440 and 15 thou patch is tight and very accurate. Was it possible that someone re-bore the barrel without stamping new bore size? I’ll be interested in finding the outcom.

Sure it could
It's also possible but unlikely that the company making the barrels stamped a .50 barrel with ".45".
The first scenario is a much better bet. And quite inexpensive to do.

Most .45 rifles I've own shoot a .440 RB but a .440 with the patch just fell down the bore. I then tried a .451 RB same thing. I tried my ROA .457 and they seem a much better fit. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Seemed rather odd to me. I only paid $100 for the rifle so don't think I got hurt at all just hope it shoots straight. I hope to hear from someone on this matter. Thanks much.

I will bet a .490 ball and a .015 patch will work just fine. Sounds like a rebored and re-rifled barrel.

LD

I have two in 50, from what I understand the barrels that are stamped USA were made by Douglas. Both shoot fine, nice find.

It is my personal opinion that the CVA mountain rifle with the made in USA barrel was the best gun they ever sold. While the barrels were made in USA the rifles were made in Spain. The proto type rifle had a Douglas barrel . But who actually made the production barrels is debated some think Sharron made them, They seem to be a harder steel than the leaded steel Douglas used.. Who ever made the barrels they are very good barrels

The early Mountain Rifle barrels stamped "made in USA" were said to be Douglas barrels I think, and they were known to be good shooters. That being said, yours appears to have been bored out to a bigger caliber.
My first order of business would be to measure the bore diameter and check what rate of twist it has.

Back