• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Crockett kit barrel/Got it cleaned thanks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtsage

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Santa (me) brought me a Traditions Crockett Kit this past Christmas. After some manufacturing issues and sending the kit back to CT for their gunsmith, all was well. The Traditions folks in CT were very prompt in helping out I might add. I'm just about finished getting it all finished up. Finishing up the stock this week so I thought I would clean the barrel. WOW is about all I can say. It is so dirty I could barely get a wet patch down the barrel. Appears some of Spain got left in the barrel. Feels like lots of jagged barrel lands as well. I will get it cleaned no doubt but thought I would ask for some tips and pointers on getting the barrel cleaned up.

Thanks in advance

I added a patch image. This is after about 20 wet cleaning patches ran thru.
patch.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you may need to use some JB Bore paste and a green scotch brite patch to lap the bore with to smooth out the burrs and sharp edges,

Brake cleaner is your friend when it comes to removing packing grease. Just don’t get it on the stock or anything else with a finish on it.

Got it cleaned. Not kidding, I bet i ran 50 patches thru, jb bore paste, bore brush, and finally the Flush-Out and Wipe-Out. Finished with a bucket of warm water and soap. Patches finally clean. They must not clean the barrels at all at the factory. Drill, button, and that is it I'm thinking.
Done.JPG

The Crockett is one of my favorite small caliber rifles; they are normally tack drivers. You can smooth the crown with sandpaper and thumb/finger tip. For a rough bore run a ScotchBright pad or 0000 steel wool down the bore one or two hundred times and that should do it.

Back