• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Colt 1851 Navy C series

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my Colt Navy yesterday and wanted to share some pics. I bought this from a forum member named Dave, aka DaMitch. He was a very great person to deal with and a couple people here called him a scammer because he didnt post a picture. Well he gave me number and I called and talked with him and realized right away he wasnt trying to scam anyone. So Im here to clear his name! Anyways, this revolver is beautiful with a couple handling marks over the last 50 years, and from what Dave and I could tell, it hadn't ever been fired. Today I put 18 rounds through it, and it hits exactly to point of aim, and is way more accurate than I can be standing. The quality of this Colt can be felt, especially when disassembling it and feeling the quality of the springs. I carefully cleaned every piece and re-assembled it. It will be my go to shooter for a long time. Heres some pictures and a video.

Attachments

• A113DE4C-1979-4AEB-8EFE-EA875EAC195C.jpeg
    A113DE4C-1979-4AEB-8EFE-EA875EAC195C.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 5FD59D1B-7617-4C0C-B009-DA76A3454E03.jpeg
    5FD59D1B-7617-4C0C-B009-DA76A3454E03.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • AB5B9049-0E0C-4320-8753-12B70E9FC534.jpeg
    AB5B9049-0E0C-4320-8753-12B70E9FC534.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DDBFBD81-C860-4817-8467-05CAC602B0E3.jpeg
    DDBFBD81-C860-4817-8467-05CAC602B0E3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • AA962EC8-39EE-49B2-A47A-D643D3D3920F.jpeg
    AA962EC8-39EE-49B2-A47A-D643D3D3920F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 635F5D8E-618A-4E44-B63C-ACA5DCFCAD21.jpeg
    635F5D8E-618A-4E44-B63C-ACA5DCFCAD21.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 9AF73528-8AE3-4F4F-8BF7-C40836769479.jpeg
    9AF73528-8AE3-4F4F-8BF7-C40836769479.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 017208C5-EE14-4DC0-B2E4-E45BDDDD94D5.jpeg
    017208C5-EE14-4DC0-B2E4-E45BDDDD94D5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • A4F19E78-CE76-4EFD-8BD8-F8040167426F.jpeg
    A4F19E78-CE76-4EFD-8BD8-F8040167426F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 9CB6C0B3-8E72-4916-864F-B04ACEE46DAC.jpeg
    9CB6C0B3-8E72-4916-864F-B04ACEE46DAC.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Very Nice

I have the exact same gun, I couldn't tell if it had been fired or not , so I fired it. It has the box and all the papers, it seems like someone bought it originally, maybe put 6 through it , cleaned it up and put it away. The box even smells like the 1980's (old cigarette smoke and cooking)

It's definitely slicker and better fitted than the average Uberti .

I wonder what would happen if I mailed the Colt Collector's Assocation card in

Hey guys, I just got my Colt Navy yesterday and wanted to share some pics. I bought this from a forum member named Dave, aka DaMitch. He was a very great person to deal with and a couple people here called him a scammer because he didnt post a picture. Well he gave me number and I called and talked with him and realized right away he wasnt trying to scam anyone. So Im here to clear his name! Anyways, this revolver is beautiful with a couple handling marks over the last 50 years, and from what Dave and I could tell, it hadn't ever been fired. Today I put 18 rounds through it, and it hits exactly to point of aim, and is way more accurate than I can be standing. The quality of this Colt can be felt, especially when disassembling it and feeling the quality of the springs. I carefully cleaned every piece and re-assembled it. It will be my go to shooter for a long time. Heres some pictures and a video.
I’m feeling a little envy here. I love Colt navies and you have the grail gun there imho.

Enjoy.

I’m feeling a little envy here. I love Colt navies and you have the grail gun there imho.

Enjoy.
Thanks! It needs some Uberti nipples, the factory nipples are small for #11 caps and they are so tall that the caps rub on the recoil shield. But my nipples from my uberti 1851 fit right in and are shorter so they will fix that no problem.

Very Nice

I have the exact same gun, I couldn't tell if it had been fired or not , so I fired it. It has the box and all the papers, it seems like someone bought it originally, maybe put 6 through it , cleaned it up and put it away. The box even smells like the 1980's (old cigarette smoke and cooking)

It's definitely slicker and better fitted than the average Uberti .

I wonder what would happen if I mailed the Colt Collector's Assocation card in
Yeah! I should call them up and ask about warranty work. Haha

Beautiful revolver! I have a chance to buy the same gun. I pulled the barrel, the gun is full of gummy old oil, and doesn't look to have been shot.
Can anyone here tell me what is a good price? It's a consignment in my cousin's shop, he has $600 on it. I'm not sure if that's fair or not.

Beautiful revolver! I have a chance to buy the same gun. I pulled the barrel, the gun is full of gummy old oil, and doesn't look to have been shot.
Can anyone here tell me what is a good price? It's a consignment in my cousin's shop, he has $600 on it. I'm not sure if that's fair or not.
Yes, that’s a good, fair price for one.

I got the exact same gun at a gun show in Ontario in May 2018 for $550 CDN. That would have been $402 USD at the exchange rate of .732 in 2018. It is a beauty. Sold my Pietta.

Attachments

• CEC02746-A310-4E4D-9AAA-946493E6E0A4.jpeg
    CEC02746-A310-4E4D-9AAA-946493E6E0A4.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks TDM. He's on vacation this week, when he gets back, we'll have to talk. My only hesitation is that I really like my uberti london model, at least till I handled that Colt!
John, that's a beauty. Thanks for the replies.

Pete453,
I would bet that a consignment gun price would be negotiable. Find out how long the revolver has been in his shop. Ask if the price is firm and have him call the owner to see if he will knock off a couple of dollars. He might be hungry enough to go for it. If he won’t come down, consider letting it sit in the shop for a little while. Go back later and make the same offer, or maybe even less. Shelf space taken up with something that doesn’t move is basically dead space.

I recently picked up ten Colts. Nine were Second Generations, and one was a Signature. I got them for less than half the asking price. Just something to think about. :cool:

All pristine and unfired…

The Uberti & the Colt were made from the exact same Italian made parts! Only difference is the Colt C series was assembled at the Hartford, Conn. plant instead of in Italy & has the Colt stampings. Colt's fit & finish was generally a little better than the average Italian gun, but that isn't always the case. I have a Uberti London that is better in mechanical function & fit & finish than any of the 2nd or 3rd Gen Colts I have handled. I think I just got lucky on the one they mailed me because I've seen many Italian made guns that were not up to that standard. So, are the Colt's worth the extra money? Probably, to some but not everybody. The original Colt stampings are more of a lure for me than the overall difference between the Uberti & the Colt. Once they get used & worn it's real hard to tell the difference. If you are a collector & are just gonna leave it in the box, that's a different matter. Just my two cents.

Double Deuce,
It's been there awhile. He also has a Remington carbine on consignment that's been there for going on 2 years. Price? $800!!! I think the owner was trying to take advantage of guns going above their real value. I showed him the same gun at Midway for 560.00, the guy won't budge. I'm hoping it's not the same owner, and there's wiggle room. It's a really nice gun, nicer than my 51. Either way, I think I may be posting pics of my Colt in a couple weeks!

Alaska, those Navies really change personalities when you fill em to the top, don't they! They get pretty serious!

Double Deuce,
It's been there awhile. He also has a Remington carbine on consignment that's been there for going on 2 years. Price? $800!!! I think the owner was trying to take advantage of guns going above their real value. I showed him the same gun at Midway for 560.00, the guy won't budge. I'm hoping it's not the same owner, and there's wiggle room. It's a really nice gun, nicer than my 51. Either way, I think I may be posting pics of my Colt in a couple weeks!

Alaska, those Navies really change personalities when you fill em to the top, don't they! They get pretty serious!
They sure do, especially when I filled them to the top with goex. The ball was just about flush. It made quite a boom then! I honestly think thats how everyone loaded these revolvers back in the day, guys werent messin with powder measurements out on the frontier.

They sure do, especially when I filled them to the top with goex. The ball was just about flush. It made quite a boom then! I honestly think thats how everyone loaded these revolvers back in the day, guys werent messin with powder measurements out on the frontier.
I believe that's how they were used myself. If they were loaded light they wouldn't have been thought of so highly. At least this is what the written accounts lead me to believe.

The navy had a pretty good reputation for stopping bad behavior. I am pretty sure that reputation was not built on any less than full bore loads.

In the time of cap and ball revolvers, the navy colt seemed to have an excellent balance of power shootabilty.

The navy had a pretty good reputation for stopping bad behavior. I am pretty sure that reputation was not built on any less than full bore loads.

In the time of cap and ball revolvers, the navy colt seemed to have an excellent balance of power and shootabilty.

Back