• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New buy identification?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmconst

32 Cal
Reaction score
First timer here, hopefully you guys can help me identify this new to me flintlock! I picked up this 54 caliber from a local gentleman. Barrel has markings of xx Douglas and behind the lock has LC stamped on it. The gentleman has owned it since the early 80’s and thought it possibly was a kit gun a southeastern Nebraska man built. It has a small flash pan and a single set trigger. Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• 70667535430__C134A011-D08D-467A-BBB3-E5A40F8F5573.jpeg
    70667535430__C134A011-D08D-467A-BBB3-E5A40F8F5573.jpeg
    806.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 70667539717__002EF58B-ED32-450B-81B1-038807B2A176.jpeg
    70667539717__002EF58B-ED32-450B-81B1-038807B2A176.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The XX on the Douglas barrel indicates that it was a select barrel with minimal run out. The rifle appears to be well made and of quality parts. Unless the builder signed the barrel on the underside or under the buttplate, you may never know who built it. I have several rifles built during the bicentennial resurgence by talented gun builders that were not signed, and the maker's identification is lost. They shoot well to excellent. @jrmconst, take the rifle out and shoot it. Tell us how it performs. At this time, it is the performance that is important, not the name of the builder. I think the parts have been identified.

The XX on the Douglas barrel indicates that it was a select barrel with minimal run out. The rifle appears to be well made and of quality parts. Unless the builder signed the barrel on the underside or under the buttplate, you may never know who built it. I have several rifles built during the bicentennial resurgence by talented gun builders that were not signed, and the maker's identification is lost. They shoot well to excellent. @jrmconst, take the rifle out and shoot it. Tell us how it performs. At this time, it is the performance that is important, not the name of the builder. I think the parts have been identified.
Thank you for the insight! I took it out shooting at a local club shoot over the weekend and I believe it’s more accurate then I am! I’m catching my self flenching. The first shot was dead on at 50 yards but that’s as good as I got lol! I didn’t know what to expect and was the most focused. I will definitely get some practice in with it!

Back