• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up a new Pedersoli Brown Bess (.75 Cal). I definately needed a smoothbore because of the hunting areas I live in require shotgun or smoothbore BP only. Since I am completely traditional I needed the smoothbore. Took a trip to Dixon's today. I looked at two TVM Fowlers and a custom Harrell? Fowler. The price on the custom was 1400 while the TVMs were 1100. I went with the Brown Bess because it was 1. less expensive 900, 2. it is a classic in American History and 3. in speaking with the folks at Dixon's they affirmed that the Bess was as readily seen and used by the common late 1700's farmer as any poorboy fowler style rifle would have been. They said even more so because of all the left overs and take homes there were from the army issue and dead soldiers after the war.

My questions,

1. Do you guys think the Bess was a very common everyday farmer/hunting rifle in the last quarter of the 18th century

2. Has anyone used this rifle for modern day hunting particularly turkey (I am using #6 shot) and if so, are there any tips you can provide for accuracy/success? I also picked up some .735 round balls for unpatched and some .690's that I plan on using patched for the larger game. I still plan on using my Early Lancaster .50 for rifled hunting but if this has some advantages I have no problem sticking with the one rifle.

1. Do you guys think the Bess was a very common everyday farmer/hunting rifle in the last quarter of the 18th century

No. I think the First Model (Long Land Pattern) and Second Model (like the Pedersoli) were common muskets of the late 1700's. Rifles are the ones with the deep, twisty scratches in the barrel.

Has anyone used this rifle for modern day hunting . . .

I used a fusil version of the Bess (.662" bore) with #6 for rabbits and squirrel, and a .648" ball for deer. Very effective as a shotgun out to 30 yards or so. Never had the opportunity for turkey. If I were to try I would go with #4 shot and not #6. Effective on deer with the single ball for as far as you are good at aiming it. I limited myself to 50 yards.

Actually, i split the difference on the shot and use #5's. Took a tom using them this spring. My first turkey ever. I like the 5's for rabbits too.

Latest posts

Back