• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New biography of the Swamp Fox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read an intriguing review of this new biography by John Oller, "The Swamp Fox: How Francis Marion Saved the American Revolution," in the June issue of Muzzle Blasts. It's being lauded as not only eminently readable, but covering new ground on this singular American hero, who insisted even his enemies be treated with dignity -- perhaps South Carolina's "Man for All Seasons." It's an antidote to these toxic times to read about a man to whom character mattered a great deal. My copy inbound.
Bill,
My reading list keeps growing!!
I will add this to it but I'm afraid I can't suffer through a Walt Disney version!!

I have read it. amazing how many tarots that they were in the revolution! he was one helliva patriot!

My inlaws live in S C and I have been meaning to visit the Marion Plantation when down there next. From the little bit I have seen on parts of coastal SC, it is no where I would be running the swamps, day or night. I too heard that the character was actually an amalgamation of several people. What I found also strange, that no matter how divided society was in SC, it was almost as bad in eastern PA and New Jersey. Folks were hung, burned out of houses and farms etc. After the war, many eastern PA counties enacted a tax rate that was double if no one in your household fought for the Americans. ie Tories and non violent sects like Amish and Mennonite got to pay double taxes. Shortly after the revolution, huge numbers of Tories from Eastern PA and New Jersey moved to Ontario or west to Ohio.

I have gotten a good start on the book and I am enjoying it.

Thanks

Fleener

I mentioned this on an earlier thread. He must have been a "Hero" in the South. The Confederacy depicted Marion on an early $10.00 bill.And i think SC also used this same image on a State $5.00 bill.

I remember seeing a movie about the Swamp Fox, who was played by Leslie Nielsen. I kept waiting for the funny parts because I'd only seen him in comedies, but there was no comedy in that movie. I think it was made by Disney probably in the early 1970s.

I recall reading a longish article about Marion in American Heritage hard-cover periodical that my mother subscribed to.
Dave

Was that Disney show about Marion in the 70's? I was thinking it was at least a decade earlier.It wasnt long after Walt passed away the Disney studios stopped with the Historical stuff and started pioneering in PC.

I bought the book and have read it too. A fascinating glimpse of that time and not just Mr Fox. The thin line trodden between politics, economy, personalities and what a man could bear. Marion had a very high moral bar and broad thinking which made me glad that he acquired some personal comfort after his sacrifices.

I have been a fan of Francis Marion every since I have heard of him and his great exploits. Depending on the avenue I use Francis Marion or Swamp Fox as a username or call sign.

My inlaws live in S C and I have been meaning to visit the Marion Plantation when down there next. From the little bit I have seen on parts of coastal SC, it is no where I would be running the swamps, day or night. I too heard that the character was actually an amalgamation of several people. What I found also strange, that no matter how divided society was in SC, it was almost as bad in eastern PA and New Jersey. Folks were hung, burned out of houses and farms etc. After the war, many eastern PA counties enacted a tax rate that was double if no one in your household fought for the Americans. ie Tories and non violent sects like Amish and Mennonite got to pay double taxes. Shortly after the revolution, huge numbers of Tories from Eastern PA and New Jersey moved to Ontario or west to Ohio.
Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, but there is no "Marion plantation ". General Marion is buried at the site of Belle Isle plantation, which belonged to his brother and was destroyed in 1927. General Marion's personal home that he built near Orangeburg was left in ruins after the Revolutionary war and he never rebuilt.

He also would show no mercy to natives... He has been noted for his brutality against many Cherokee in the Carolinas and a rapist towards the enslaved.

Funny what details history chooses to leave out!

However, the mans tactics are dang interesting to read about.

Did history leave these details out? Or, were they fabricated by revisionist historians with a political agenda?
I wish that the General could live amongst us for a time in order to respond to your comments. I'm sure that he would call you out for satisfaction and to that end, I would gladly serve as his second.
It seems that evil men of of our time cannot imagine an honest man of good moral character, which did exist in other times and does exist even now.

I mentioned this on an earlier thread. He must have been a "Hero" in the South. The Confederacy depicted Marion on an early $10.00 bill.And i think SC also used this same image on a State $5.00 bill.
Yes, General Marion is still much revered here in the lowcountry of South Carolina. A statue of his likeness is proudly displayed just inside the doors of the Berkeley County Building in Moncks Corner. Children here are still taught the stories of brave men whose efforts have made it possible for us to enjoy life here as free Americans.
Any venture into the Hell Hole Swamp conjours images of the Swamp Fox and his famous skill in that environment.

Did history leave these details out? Or, were they fabricated by revisionist historians with a political agenda?
I wish that the General could live amongst us for a time in order to respond to your comments. I'm sure that he would call you out for satisfaction and to that end, I would gladly serve as his second.
It seems that evil men of of our time cannot imagine an honest man of good moral character, which did exist in other times and does exist even now.

I have chosen to sustain from being active on discussions, however your comments have warranted a reply.

Do not lecture me on honesty and moral character, I have personally engaged in warfighting activities overseas. Battle will test the very limits of moral judgment and character in the best of men. Which doesn't change what has been written in history concerning the skeletons in the closet by the best of the best.

I have served alongside dozens of honorable, moral men and I consider myself to be one... Therefore your speculation on somebody understanding it in today's society is very rash.

By all means continue to glorify the aspect of war in his regard, if you have seen it first-hand you would realize there is absolutely nothing glorious about it besides being a necessary evil.

Last edited:
Yes, General Marion is still much revered here in the lowcountry of South Carolina. A statue of his likeness is proudly displayed just inside the doors of the Berkeley County Building in Moncks Corner. Children here are still taught the stories of brave men whose efforts have made it possible for us to enjoy life here as free Americans.
Why should we care about someone who fought battles in South Carolina and the random hero-worship that some use to elevate people to the status of a demi-god when they put their pants (sorry - breeches) on just like everyone else? Atrocities were committed on all/both sides and to pretend they didn't is silly. To imbue someone with a magical status when their actions are viewed through the lens of the victor is also a little silly. I see this same attitude with people who are nationalists or ultra-nationalists, where a "hero" or country is ALWAYS right regardless of outcome or motivation. This is fundamentally wrong...and leads to a "We're right and you're wrong" mentality that just amplifies the problems rather than solving anything.

As a rule, any time I hear this sort of hero-worship, my BS meter goes off and I am immediately more skeptical of any claims being made. One needs to take an objective view and not allow preconceived notions or confirmation bias to cloud their thinking. There have been innumerable such claims made throughout history about any number of people and they are ALL questionable (on a good day) and wrong almost every time (I'd say every time, but there might be a few and I'm open to being proven wrong)...

As a rule, any time I hear this sort of hero-worship, my BS meter goes off and I am immediately more skeptical of any claims being made. One needs to take an objective view and not allow preconceived notions or confirmation bias to cloud their thinking. There have been innumerable such claims made throughout history about any number of people and they are ALL questionable (on a good day) and wrong almost every time (I'd say every time, but there might be a few and I'm open to being wrong)...
Do you raise your children to aspire to the achievements of great individuals, either contemporary or historic, or do you teach them that all men are imperfect and fall short of your high standards? What a sad world you live in and what a sad picture of mankind you paint, a world without heroes, a world un which all are varying degrees of evil.
I do believe that at times men respond to a higher calling and perform heroic acts. I also believe that men walk amongst us who aspire to high moral standards, and conduct themselves accordingly. I do believe that we all benefit by being held to a higher standard than you present.

Latest posts

Back