New biography of the Swamp Fox

Discussion in 'Muzzleloading and History in the Media' started by BillinOregon, Jun 5, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 2, 2019 #21

Sicilian Hunter

Sicilian Hunter

Sicilian Hunter

32 Cal.

Bill,
    My reading list keeps growing!!
    I will add this to it but I'm afraid I can't suffer through a Walt Disney version!!

2. Jan 2, 2019 #22

toot

toot

toot

32 Cal.

I have read it. amazing how many tarots that they were in the revolution! he was one helliva patriot!

3. Jan 23, 2019 #23

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.

My inlaws live in S C and I have been meaning to visit the Marion Plantation when down there next. From the little bit I have seen on parts of coastal SC, it is no where I would be running the swamps, day or night. I too heard that the character was actually an amalgamation of several people. What I found also strange, that no matter how divided society was in SC, it was almost as bad in eastern PA and New Jersey. Folks were hung, burned out of houses and farms etc. After the war, many eastern PA counties enacted a tax rate that was double if no one in your household fought for the Americans. ie Tories and non violent sects like Amish and Mennonite got to pay double taxes. Shortly after the revolution, huge numbers of Tories from Eastern PA and New Jersey moved to Ontario or west to Ohio.

4. Feb 8, 2019 #24

fleener

fleener

fleener

50 Cal.

I have gotten a good start on the book and I am enjoying it.

Thanks

Fleener

5. Feb 8, 2019 #25

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

40 Cal

I mentioned this on an earlier thread. He must have been a "Hero" in the South. The Confederacy depicted Marion on an early $10.00 bill.And i think SC also used this same image on a State $5.00 bill.

6. Feb 9, 2019 #26

rrebuck

rrebuck

rrebuck

Pilgrim

I remember seeing a movie about the Swamp Fox, who was played by Leslie Nielsen. I kept waiting for the funny parts because I'd only seen him in comedies, but there was no comedy in that movie. I think it was made by Disney probably in the early 1970s.

7. Feb 11, 2019 #27

Dave Orchard

Dave Orchard

Dave Orchard

Pilgrim

I recall reading a longish article about Marion in American Heritage hard-cover periodical that my mother subscribed to.
    Dave

8. Feb 11, 2019 #28

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

40 Cal

Was that Disney show about Marion in the 70's? I was thinking it was at least a decade earlier.It wasnt long after Walt passed away the Disney studios stopped with the Historical stuff and started pioneering in PC.

9. Feb 11, 2019 #29

Bill Austin

Bill Austin

Bill Austin

36 Cal. MLF Supporter