• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Jas.

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Life has had me doing everything but leather work for most of this year but I have managed to squeeze out a couple of bags. This was a custom request for a regular customer who has been waiting quite a long time.
It's a rather large hunting bag that is my version of an old original. I made the stamp for the designs on the bag and it was based on the original bag's decoration. The rings I handmade and the bag sports a die forged iron buckle as well. The main flap has an intregral pocket as part of it's construction. There is a gusseted pocket on the front of the main body that is held closed with two leather buttons. The main body of the bag has a generous gusset and is held closed with leather buttons as well.

I really like the design of your bag. It looks great and appears to be very functional. About how thick is the complete bag?

I really like the design of your bag. It looks great and appears to be very functional. About how thick is the complete bag?
Thank you. The bag is about 4" at the bottom with the gussets not smashed flat and about 3/8" on top.

Once again you've done an outstanding job. Very interesting piece.
Can you provide any more information on the original it is modeled after? Any idea of time frame? I am curious to get a better idea of when the rings were used on the strap.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Once again you've done an outstanding job. Very interesting piece.
Can you provide any more information on the original it is modeled after? Any idea of time frame? I am curious to get a better idea of when the rings were used on the strap.

Thank you for sharing with us.
A few pictures of the original are in the September/October 2032 issue of Muzzleloader Magazine. TC Albert did an article on it. Rings go back at least to mid 18th century on some Germanic bags. I sent you a more detailed PM with my opinions on the original purely based on photos I have as I have not examined the original in hand.

A few pictures of the original are in the September/October 2032 issue of Muzzleloader Magazine. TC Albert did an article on it. Rings go back at least to mid 18th century on some Germanic bags. I sent you a more detailed PM with my opinions on the original purely based on photos I have as I have not examined the original in hand.
Thank you.

Back