• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Anti-Hunting Petitions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning:

I wanted to alert fellow sportsman and hunters in Maine of some new petitions filed in Maine courts that if allowed to progress could affect the future of other types of hunting and tactics that if successful could lead to the same thing in other States.

A fellow named John Glowa of China, Maine is an ardent anti-hunter. He likes to tie up the time and money of the State Inland Fisheries & Wildlife with petitions and calls for public forums on his agenda. Earlier this month he filed three new petitions in county court. The first is to enact a ban of bear "feeding" or a slick way to get around saying bear "baiting."

The second is a postponement of the 2020 Maine Moose season, so that "alternative and scientific studies" can be conducted to control their population, rather than hunting.

The third, is in effect a ban on the trapping and hunting of coyotes. He is also trying to get coyotes designated as "coywolf" hybrids, which would possibly land them on the endangered species list.

You can read more about this in greater detail by doing a Google search on his name, as well as visiting his Facebook page. Just be advised that he blocks anyone who offers a fact based alternative to his rantings.

He filed yet another petition this week. What I recommend is, visit his FB page for situational awareness but don't engage in the comment spats. He will just delete and block you anyway if you post any fact based evidence against his disinformation campaign.

Argue with him a different and more effective way. Join one of the local sportsman/conservation organizations such as the Sportsman Alliance of Maine or the Maine Trapper's Association (or any of your choosing). Personally, I signed up for a two year membership with SAM. I don't live in Maine anymore, but visit and hunt there every other year or so.

Argue with him a different and more effective way. Join one of the local sportsman/conservation organizations such as the Sportsman Alliance of Maine or the Maine Trapper's Association (or any of your choosing).

Good advice... I’m always surprised how many hunters don’t support the organizations that go to bat for them.

Id like to see this clown try this here in Pa. He'd be laughed out of the state. Hunting is too big a tradition here and we have far too many hunters to allow it.

I hear you Sidney, but who would have ever imagined seeing this in a State like Maine?

From what I am hearing, the petition to postpone the moose hunt was denied. The bear baiting initiatives were tossed as well.

He won't stop. He has pledged as much on his Facebook page.

As of November 9, 2018, 22 states had constitutional provisions providing for the right to hunt and fish. Vermont was the first state to constitutionalize such a right in 1777. The other 21 states had all adopted right to hunt and fish amendments since 1996. The following is a list of states with constitutional amendments establishing the right to hunt and fish:

1777: Vermont
1996: Alabama
1998: Minnesota
2000: North Dakota
2000: Virginia
2003: Wisconsin
2004: Louisiana
2004: Montana
2006: Georgia
2008: Oklahoma
2010: Arkansas
2010: South Carolina
2010: Tennessee
2012: Idaho
2012: Kentucky
2012: Nebraska
2012: Wyoming
2014: Mississippi
2015: Texas
2016: Indiana
2016: Kansas
2018: North Carolina
The state constitutions of California and Rhode Island included amendments guaranteeing the right to fish, but not to hunt.

As of November 9, 2018, 22 states had constitutional provisions providing for the right to hunt and fish. Vermont was the first state to constitutionalize such a right in 1777. The other 21 states had all adopted right to hunt and fish amendments since 1996. The following is a list of states with constitutional amendments establishing the right to hunt and fish:

1777: Vermont
That doesn't really surprise me....our VT neighbors wanted to be their own country also.

Let's keep politics out of this discussion folks.

If you want to talk about politics, become a paying member and post your stuff in the American Politics forum.

Back