• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New .44 cal. BP wadcutter bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this looks interesting. but of course, I am seeing this after I get a pair of custom wad cutter molds from accurate bullet molds.

Attachments

• 20220123_121500.jpg
    20220123_121500.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 51
Those look interesting. They look extremely close to the design of my friend Omnivore's bullets he made for me. The design works really well. They are cold formed from 44 and 50 cal round balls. That gives you 148 grn and 180 grn bullets.
DL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Shear ring up front, cylindrical body to slip into the chamber and hollow cavity to help seal off the bullet base.
Adjustable length to give options in developing loads to suit your purposes.
No lube grooves needed.
1111.jpg

I figure by looking at those new bullets it would be hard to start them in the cylinder chamber being there is no taper. a roundball is half way in before it shaves a ring of lead. I dont see how that could be done with those new bullets that is if they even get off the ground

it looks to me like they would act like the old mini ball. the hollow base would expand upon firing, thus sealing the round and giving more velocity, since the bullet would be sealing better. Interesting to say the least.

Shear ring up front, cylindrical body to slip into the chamber and hollow cavity to help seal off the bullet base.
Adjustable length to give options in developing loads to suit your purposes.
No lube grooves needed.
View attachment 122480
Beautiful looking bullets! I wish you would cast these bullets and sell them in the accessories forum.

I figure by looking at those new bullets it would be hard to start them in the cylinder chamber being there is no taper. a roundball is half way in before it shaves a ring of lead. I dont see how that could be done with those new bullets that is if they even get off the ground
Look closely. The bullet has two diameters. the majority of the bullet is smaller than the chamber diameter while the band at the front of the bullet is oversized just like a ball. This seals the chambers and holds bullet in place during recoil.

@Rifleman1776 , for small game at close range you’re probably right. For larger game, coyotes, lion, bear and deer, at longer ranges the bullets are better. IMO…

Hawk Bullets?

Great, now I have even more of their bullets I'll need to order and test.......

By the looks of those they work just fine!/Ed

When I still had my ROA I found that soft lead round balls more effective than bullets.
I have a lot of lead in my backstop I wasted coming to the same conclusion. Balls are also easier to make and seat, use less lead and don’t shoot a foot higher than the sights will adjust for like conicals.

Never knew about Hawk from New Jersey. I work 90 minutes from them. Always thought Hawk Bullets was an Australian company but I probably have them confused with someone else. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Edit: Confused with Hawkesbury River in Australia

How long has Hawk been working on these bullets? If I’m reading it right we have had folks call and talk to them about the bullets. Did they give any timeframe? First thing I noticed from their website is there are no links or anything to hawk incorporated and the date on the page is from 1994-2016. Is this a “new” new bullet design or a “new” old design that they never updated the web page?
862F7675-55C9-4FBC-A069-96F833DE20E9.jpeg

Super curious to know. Also curious to know if they offer any other caliber. I did send them an email asking that.

Pietta's .44 Colt and Remington revolvers have little in the way of clearances to get a bullet lined up for loading. Bullet design gets to be real important because of not being able to align the bullets when loading. And if they aren't properly aligned then they come out of the muzzle misaligned and fly all over the place.
There was somebody quite a while back that showed how they opened up their Pietta .44 to give more clearance. As I recall that fella did a pretty nice job of it using a Dremel type grinder.

That's one thing nice about the big old Dragoons and Walkers; they're about as elegant as a pipe wrench but by golly you can load with pretty much whatever molds you want to.

nkbj,

I have a 225 gr round nose bullet mold I use in my 45LC, and we wanted to try it in my son's new 1858. You are correct about the clearance. How I defeated it was measure the chamber diameter on the 1858 and ordered a sizer die that allows a snug press fit with thumb pressure. I leave the last driving band unsized which gets enough clearance and provides the seal needed. Cast from pure lead they shoot great out of his 1858.

Back