• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my new Pietta 1860 Army from Midway today. Gun is excellent in terms of fit, finish and function, can’t wait to shoot it! Joins my 1847 Walker and 1858 Remington (both Ubertis), so this is my first Pietta.

Only issue is that I can’t get the barrel wedge out. It’s pretty firm in there and the ”latch” on the top of the right side is pretty tight, so it’s impossible to push the latch down and put enough force on the wedge itself to remove it. Any ideas? Unfortunately there are no gunsmiths around to get help from so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• FA001452-90C5-494A-9CDF-F111BEE4B62D.jpeg
    FA001452-90C5-494A-9CDF-F111BEE4B62D.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
A good wack with a non metallic hammer; wood or plastic should free it up. If it is really in there, try giving it a couple of wacks on the sides (screw side) of the wedge first.

The wedge becomes easier to remove after it’s initial cleaning and firing.

Beating it good and hard like it owes you money with a non-marring object worked for me. Nylon hammer, done on my mattress (some give) with a piece of clothing between hammer and wedge.

Those wedges are pretty tight when the pistols are new. As was mentioned earlier, a nylon mallet will work. Use the edge of the mallets face when the wedge goes in far enough to be flat with the barrel.

My 1851 was very similar. I ended up having to cut a piece of dowel and using it like a punch with a hammer to drive the tab down while knocking the pin out. After this it was much easier to get out going forward.

Like TrapperDude said, use a hard plastic mallet and hit that wedge till the sucker moves. Once in a while stuff like this happens and one needs to have patience and fínese. As an example, my Dragoon’s barrel refused to separate from the frame. The plastic mallet got it loose after whacking the loading lever housing at an angle. Try hitting it with the mallet while glancing down on that tab that keeps the wedge from coming out.
Once it’s apart, I suggest a complete tear down for cleaning and checking for burs and sharp corners specially the fangs on the hammer face that tend to grab the caps as you pull back the hammer. The sharp corners need to be filed down to reduce cap sucking.

In a pinch half of a spring style wooden clothes pin makes an OK punch for wedge removal (you may have to flatten/narrow the end a bit with a file or sandpaper). I don't have enough plastic/dead blow/wooden mallets for every range box and cleaning kit so I drop a clothespin half in each of those so I'll have something at the range and not have to drive home.

In a pinch half of a spring style wooden clothes pin makes an OK punch for wedge removal (you may have to flatten/narrow the end a bit with a file or sandpaper). I don't have enough plastic/dead blow/wooden mallets for every range box and cleaning kit so I drop a clothespin half in each of those so I'll have something at the range and not have to drive home.
Excellent hint/tip.

Back