• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New 10 gauge and some questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a Pedersoli 10 gauge SxS over the weekend, it’s dated 1985, I figured one of the barrels would be choked but they both measured .760 at the muzzle and are marked 19-3 on the underside which would be the metric measurement I assume, Track shows the cushion wads to measure .788 for a 10 gauge with a bore diameter of .775, will the fiber wads be too tight to get into the bore or are they flexible enough to work, I have no experience with store bought wads etc, also curious about round ball, I see Track has .750 balls but I haven’t seen a mold that large anywhere yet, where would one find a round ball mold for this beast, I’m assuming round ball would work ok in these non choked cyl bores.

Congrats on your 'new-sed' Pedersoli 10 gauge SxS - sounds like you are in for some good shooting!
.760 is actually between the Eleven (.751) and Ten guage bore sizes.
I would stick with stacked thin card wads for now, because they are easier to coax into an under-size muzzle (probably still try the full-size 10 gauge wads). You might try something akin to hornet's nesting or tow as a cushion wad. Also, Investigate the Skychief load elsewhere on the forums for additional info.

I had the same bore 10GA Pedersoli a number of years ago and a 10GA shot cup fit the barrel perfectly. I was told then they made the bore sized that way.

It's choked.
In all honesty you don't need cushion wads ( why they are called that I will never understand and frankly don't want to) or fibre wads. You just need over shot cards around .800" D. Put four or five on the powder then shot.
That is all I ever did with my 10g Peder and it worked out fine.

It's choked.

Maybe it is....
Maybe it isn't....
Currently, Pedersoli sells their "waterfowl" 10 gauge SxS as left-barrel no choke [cylinder bore], right barrel slight choke [improved cylinder]. I'd have thought a waterfowl shotgun would be at least mod/full, or perhaps cyl/mod to allow big game as well as birds.
You need a caliper along with the micrometer to check the bore diameter about three to four inches inside the muzzle. Or have a smith check it for you.
They could be both choked improved cylinder, or they could be simply a tighter bore than actual 10 gauge.
There is for example the occasional, vintage, 12 gauge Bess that turns up from time to time. I think that Pedersoli may have thought back then, and perhaps now with the "10 gauge", alter the full length bore slightly for hunting applications. A 12 gauge Bess might've been easier to find wads that fit, and as mentioned the .760 "10 guage" may be the same.

LD

Maybe it is....
Maybe it isn't....
Currently, Pedersoli sells their "waterfowl" 10 gauge SxS as left-barrel no choke [cylinder bore], right barrel slight choke [improved cylinder]. I'd have thought a waterfowl shotgun would be at least mod/full, or perhaps cyl/mod to allow big game as well as birds.
You need a caliper along with the micrometer to check the bore diameter about three to four inches inside the muzzle. Or have a smith check it for you.
They could be both choked improved cylinder, or they could be simply a tighter bore than actual 10 gauge.
There is for example the occasional, vintage, 12 gauge Bess that turns up from time to time. I think that Pedersoli may have thought back then, and perhaps now with the "10 gauge", alter the full length bore slightly for hunting applications. A 12 gauge Bess might've been easier to find wads that fit, and as mentioned the .760 "10 guage" may be the same.

LD
Dave you make valid points
I may have it wrong yes.

I however still stand by my recommendations however if it is cylinder and without choking only use fibre wads to improve patterns via the Skychief method. Anything else use just cards.

I’ll put a bore mic in the bore when I get a chance, my measurements were taken at the muzzle with a digital caliper but after pushing a patch down the barrels they feel cyl bore to me, I’m not really interested in plastic shot cups etc, I’ve been punching my own leather and cork cards for my 28 gauge flint and using wool or jute fibers to keep it somewhat natural, also at this time dont bird hunt but I’d like to take a turkey some day, this would primarily be for squirrel, rabbit etc and I’d like to try buckshot and eventually find a ball mold for it .

As per usual I suggest looking up the little "book" by V. M. Starr who wrote it about our shotguns. His loads are mostly for choked guns; cylinder bores may work better with the standard equal volume of shot and powder, or even slightly more shot than powder. I have a Pedersoli 10 gauge with a cylinder right and modified choke left barrel and am still trying to come up with one load which works well in both barrels at the same measurements to minimize confusion. So far over powder thick fiber "cushion" wads do not work well in either barrel. but thin cards or stacks of thinner cardboard work OK. The Skychief method of putting a thick wad soaked in olive oil over the shot is something I have yet to try, but users claim better patterns using this trick. The late Mr Paul Vandelingham advocated an old market hunter method of coating the bores with oil after the load is in place to accomplish the better patterning (this may have relevance to the Skychief discovery but who knows). Good luck and have fun! GWW

As per usual I suggest looking up the little "book" by V. M. Starr who wrote it about our shotguns. His loads are mostly for choked guns; cylinder bores may work better with the standard equal volume of shot and powder, or even slightly more shot than powder. I have a Pedersoli 10 gauge with a cylinder right and modified choke left barrel and am still trying to come up with one load which works well in both barrels at the same measurements to minimize confusion. So far over powder thick fiber "cushion" wads do not work well in either barrel. but thin cards or stacks of thinner cardboard work OK. The Skychief method of putting a thick wad soaked in olive oil over the shot is something I have yet to try, but users claim better patterns using this trick. The late Mr Paul Vandngham advocated an old market hunter method of coating the bores with oil after the load is in place to accomplish the better patterning (this may have relevance to the Skychief discovery but who knows). Good luck and have fun! GWW
Sorry Paul I got your name wrong- Valandingham is closer.

I will never understand when people buy a percussion or flint smoothbore they enquire where to buy wads . Forget the felt all you need is 2 number 1/8 cards on the powder and 1/16 on the shot and to obtain these go to a ironmonger's and buy a wad punch then you can punch out any thickness of wad you need
Feltwad
All you need is one of these the right size

I will never understand when people buy a percussion or flint smoothbore they enquire where to buy wads . Forget the felt all you need is 2 number 1/8 cards on the powder and 1/16 on the shot and to obtain these go to a ironmonger's and buy a wad punch then you can punch out any thickness of wad you need
Feltwad
All you need is one of these the right size
And I will never understand why someone would respond without actually reading the post, I never ask where I could buy wads, and if you bother to read my other post in this thread you’ll see that I already punch wads for my other smoothie.

And I will never understand why someone would respond without actually reading the post, I never ask where I could buy wads, and if you bother to read my other post in this thread you’ll see that I already punch wads for my other smoothie.
My apologies I must have misunderstood your question
Feltwad

Back