• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Never owned one of these before!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hasn't come in yet, but I hope I did ok!

908-1.jpg

908-2.jpg

908-8.jpg

908-10.jpg

As a serious collector of percussion over/under guns, I offer a few comments . Your rifle over shotgun combination with a fixed breech and round barrels is a fairly common type. In this configuration, it was probably built anywhere from about 1855 to the 1870's. Many of the smaller makers did not mark their guns, but the major gunsmiths typically stamped their name and often their town on the top of the barrels between the rear sight and the breech. Your gun has a pair of typical side by side mounted back action locks and the nipple is mounted on a bolster. Without going into detail, the locks are mounted in a rather unusual fashion. Is that a fold-down rear sight on the tang? You've got a nice clean, collectable firearm. ( which is PROBABLY a shooter if checked out)

I know of similar guns, more modern ones, are known as "drillings". That is one very cool combo gun.

This is a popular style of gun. Great for the guy who need ed both a rifle and a shotgun.
This was, I believe, the last style of muzzle-loader, and was commonly produced, up through the 1870's. There are two makers named Graves in Michigan (both born in NY), possibly also in NY.
See my book,
These guys likely never heard of "cape guns", I think that's someone 's modern term.

The Native American in Jeremiah Johnson had one. It showed muzzle while he was on horse watching Jeremiah chasing fish.
I thought that, too! I almost asked if that was like what Paints His Shirt Red had. 😎 You see it when Jeremiah is trying to catch fish by hand, and he turns and sees PHSR on his horse right behind him (and between him and his rifle). PHSR has a mess of fish hanging from his horse and just looks at Johnson like he is crazy, and then turns and rides off. Great scene! (Edited thanks to Crooked Creek😀).

Last edited:
Back