• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Never owned a gun, but smitten by flintlocks, not sure what to do

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do have a little social anxiety, then possibly an online hunters ed class may be for you, although I’d recommend a classroom course if ones available. Also, there are plenty of people on here that can give you plenty of great advice, but finding a mentor would be the best. A mentor can show you “ hands on” stuff and show you some of the quirks that comes with flintlocks. You tube videos are great, but aren’t interactive. So it all kind of comes back to finding someone near you to show your ends and outs of flintlocks, cleaning is very important, how to retrieve a stuck ball, and general safety is all somthing you will need to learn. It’s a GREAT sport! Your welcome to PM me as often as you want!
Kary

The best advice here are the folks who pointed you to local people who you can get in touch with to find more information and maybe even have a chance to shoot with and get some mentoring. With the virus, many ranges and clubs are less available than a year ago, but someone may have access to one still open or private land for shooting. I will re-interate the importance of getting basic shooting or hunter safety instruction. Muzzleloaders may not fire multiple rounds quickly, but they are just as deadly as any other firearm. Good luck.
Man that's the truth. Just Google musket injuries x rays. The .58 to the knee XRay really brings it home. You can see why they amputated like 95% of the time during the civil war.

But don’t get scared. Injuries happen, that’s true but I’ve been near fifty years in this game and going to events and the worse gun related injuries I’ve seen was someone getting a hand cut from a sharp flint or cutting fingers when cutting a patch at the muzzle.
I cut the base of my thumb pretty bad spliting kindling and have a few knife scars from camp chores but never a gun related injury.

But don’t get scared. Injuries happen, that’s true but I’ve been near fifty years in this game and going to events and the worse gun related injuries I’ve seen was someone getting a hand cut from a sharp flint or cutting fingers when cutting a patch at the muzzle.
I cut the base of my thumb pretty bad spliting kindling and have a few knife scars from camp chores but never a gun related injury.
Me either......sheesh!

WARNING! WARNING! Black powder is highly addictive! There is no cure, only treatment, Once you breathe the black powder smoke it is to late. The only treatment is MORE SMOKE. More guns, More powder. If you can find a local club you will find many addicts always looking for people to lure in to their addiction.

Truer words have never been spoken. You will forever associate the smell of sulfur with joy.

I will reply in general to your replies again, there are so many replies I am very grateful:

One of the links you guys provided, Twin City Muzzle Loading Club, says they have a winter event. It states:

"Join us at our fun filled Winter Shoots and Blanket Shoot! All of these shoots are open to the public, including beginners. We offer FREE instruction and coaching by Twin Cities Muzzle Loaders Club members. If you are hesitant because you don't have a gun--don't worry! Come anyway and borrow one of ours."

Maybe I could go there if they don't end up canceling, and maybe someone there could help me out a little, before I act hasty in buying anything too expensive. The reply someone made regarding how many in primitive archery are very enthusiastic at first, only to abandon when realize the commitment, is a good point.

I have been watching some kibler assembly videos, and I really wish my grandfather hadnt passed few years ago. He loved working with wood and things like that, I bet he would have loved working on such a kit with me, it would have been a great experience to get to know him better. I am unsure if I have the skills or confidence to do it myself, although we likely have inherited all tools required...

Regarding mentors, it sounds like a very good idea to find someone, although with this present covid stuff it might be harder, and this is emberassing but i have very bad social skills, so its a bit of a scary thought to be with a stranger in such a way, I've had a very oversheltered childhood its very difficult for me to talk to strangers. Its a bit scary to even reply on this forum 😂

The representative of the national muzzleloader association actually lives very close to me it seems. He or maybe a close relative was featured in our main newspaper it appears as well:

https://m.startribune.com/muzzleloaders-guns-of-yore/233612821/
https://outline.com/TPn4TV
(Get around paywall on second link)

Maybe ill send him an email too!

Also recommended by a reply, The Track of the Wolf gun shop, which appears to specialize in older guns is only 30 min away, maybe ill visit that too! I wonder if that could be a source to buy real black powder as well !

Thank you for all your replies !!!!!!

Find a local club and contact them or just show up at one of their events. When you tell them you are brand new to the hobby but interested in getting started, you will find that most folks nearly trip over themselves trying to offer you the chance to try their gun and explain why it is the best. Should be an opportunity to handle a number of different types of muzzleloaders.

The hunter safety course is always a good idea for someone new to the sport, but not necessarily a requirement before going to a club or organized shoot. People there will watch out for any new shooter. You will also find that many clubs offer hunter safety courses as part of what they do and the opportunity to take the course will likely present it self by your new group of best friends. Just my opinion, but while I believe hunter safety training is very important and taught by dedicated instructors (I was one years ago), I find the courses are typically lacking in muzzleloader handling, particularly when it comes to traditional guns. The online course (plus a ‘field day’) that Alaska requires before hunting in a muzzleloading season there is one of the better ones I have seen, though there could be better ones out there. May want to check it out. Muzzleloader License | Hunter-ed.com™

From what I've seen of Hungary I would trade places immediately....

Hungary is a VERY beautiful country - west for the hills, south west for Lake Balatón, east for the Puzska plains and crazy Hungarian horse-people. Buda and Pest are just jaw-dropping, especially the hill-top views of the Danube and that incredible parliament building. The Elizabeth bridge was designed by a Scottish architect - who know?

In High School and early College years, I spent a lot of time at a range north of Columbus, Ohio. There was an old gent who had an enormous collection of original rifles, and I doubt I fired them all, but I did fire an enormous amount. They were almost all flintlocks, so I got plenty of practical experience loading and shooting them.

Many years passed before I actually got my own flintlocks, having accumulated a few caplocks after my Dad built a caplock rifle.

Take a look at the Lyman Trade Rifle. Barrel length falls between the shorter Deerstaslker and the longer Great Plains Rifle, so it is easy to carry, should you decide to ever go afield. Accuracy is sufficient to bust clay pigeons, balloons and grapefruit out at the 100 yard range. I prefer the .54 cal, since I've found it easier and much quicker to work up an accurate load than the .50 cal.

Nevertheless, I have several .50's, but in caplock and they are also amazingly accurate and easy to load and shoot.

Whatever you choose, PRACTICE - a lot. You will overcome the flintlock flinch in short order.

It's been said, & I find it to be true, that, If You Can Shoot a Flintlock Well, you can shoot Anything Well.

Last edited:
Welcome from Montana. When I got into shooting muzzleloaders I wanted a custom flintlock and that’s what I got. If you want a flintlock then go for it, they are more fun than a percussion in my opinion just learn follow through when shooting. I think starting with a percussion is then harder to switch to flint for some folks. $1300 budget can buy you a used custom or semi-custom if your patient. Good luck

@Javiar, while Dutch Schoultz's (@Dr5x ) Black Powder Accuracy System (blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com) is focused on percussion rifles, his system gives great insight on how muzzle loading rifles work and need to be maintained. Even if you don't buy the system, a visit to the website can prove quite valuable.

I would second the proposition that you should look into taking a Hunters' Ed. course, especially if you plan to eventually trying your hand at turning Bambi into little white packages. (As an aside, the disassembly of critters is a good more work than it shows on the u- tube videos.)

As regards the idea of 'starting out' with a cap lock, I am of two minds: one side says that cap locks are simpler and this would be a good idea, but then again, you're going to drop a pretty good chunk of change on something that you don't really want: you want a flinter, right? So buy a good (not necessarily expensive) one and then figure out how to make go bang on a reliable basis . I.E. a Thompson Center (i started with one of these) or a Lyman, or, if you have the money, a Kibler. The Kibler (either Southern Mountain Rifle or their Colonial Rifle) is a first rate kit, and will last you and your heirs a lifetime if properly maintained ... check out the website, but leave your credit card in another room. If you can hook up with a club, see if someone can show you the intricacies of loading and firing a flint lock rifle. I was not able to do this when i started out, and the learning curve was a good bit longer and steeper for me. And the 'net didn't exist (i'm an old guy) so there was only the guy at the gun store to tell me what i was doing wrong. Luckily, i managed to figure it out without blowing myself or someone else into small bits.

Some books you should buy:
the Dutch Schoultz method (link already mentioned) ... is pointed mostly at cap shooters, but the method will work for flint shooters, too ... best non- shooting accessory that you can buy, to my mind.

if you decide to build your own, you will need some tools but first some books. Get the books now, because there's a wait if you buy from Kibler. (If you get any of the other "kits," you should be warned that these are bot 'tab "A" into slot "B" propositions, and will take a good nit more work that it appears at first glance. You can buy rifles "in the white," but they will have to be finished (i.e. stock sanded, stained and finished, metal parts blued or browned, etc) before you would want to bring it into the field... same with any "kit" don't think 'kit,' but rather a set of parts.

If you buy tools, avoid 'sets' of things: you will spend a boatload of money on a set of chisels and only use two or three ...

The Gunsmith of Grenville County, Alexander ... here's a link:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/303/1/BOOK-GGCa bit spendy, but an excellent treatise on how to build them. (as in, if you go the Kibler route you need/want this at your bench) ... great for explaining why you do the steps in the order that you do them. spiral bound so it stays flat ... obviously designed by someone who uses it - a very good thing.
Recreating the American Longrifle, Buchele, et al. here's the link
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/303/1/BOOK-RALagain, a bit extravagant, but another excellent book on how the parts fit together

sorry to run long ...

don't hesitate to p.m. me if you have specific questions, and

Make Good Smoke!

:)

Back