• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NEVER NEVER EVER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Perryman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
All:

Never never ever use a wooden ramrod (except for decoration) on your muzzleloading rifle. Even if it looks like it would never break, take my word for it, it will.......

Gene

Gene Perryman said:
All:

Never never ever use a wooden ramrod (except for decoration) on your muzzleloading rifle. Even if it looks like it would never break, take my word for it, it will.......

Gene
I replaced every one of mine with brass...most are solid 3/8" brass, a couple are tubular brass but still much stronger than wooden ramrods I've seen since TC stopped making their 'resin impregnated ramrods' years ago.
Good peace of mind for me to be out hunting and know a solid 3/8" brass rod is not going to break and has no pinned ends to pull loose.

Roy:

I was swapping the barrel between shots and it broke off at the brass ferrule. It appeared to be a straight grain ramrod....I was making the second swipe with the damp patch when without warning it broke. I could NOT get my TC silent ball remover to work, so after 5 rounds I got to come home(after a 30 mile drive to the range). I had to pull the breech plug to get it out, now the plug tightens up before it lines up!!!

Gene

The first time I ever shot my muzzleloader I shot it twice and swabbed. The tip came off the ram rod! I have never had the chance to shoot it again that was a few weeks ago. I will still use the wood one but I got an aluminum pack rod that unscrews into smaller pieces. I will always put that in my day pack and take it everywhere my muzzleloader goes.

Ya, I broke mine, fortunatly I didn't spear myself. Next I tried one of those fiberglass (or whatever it is) rods. It was like trying to push a noodle down the barrel, plus when I got a little lube on my hands I couldn't get a grip on it. :(

So next I went and bought some brass rod and put the pinned jag on the end. I then cut it a little long so it sticks out of the barrel when empty, I drilled and tapped the end for accessories. Then I made a collar that fits in the end of the barrel so the rod never touches the rifling, this stays on the rod all of the time. Next I filled a hook in the end. I made a strap out of leather shoe laces that I wear on my wrist. When cleaning between shots I put the strap in the hook and pull the rod out.

Some people I know take two rods when they go shooting, one stays in the rife, the other they pack around to use because it has deer antlers on the end so they can get a grip, but thats not for me, one rod does it all. :)

"now the plug tightens up before it lines up!!!"

Shouldn't have any thing to do with the ramrod breaking, just an added aggravation. Usually the breech plug tightens up right before it lines up, just need a good vise and a good wrench. I take it that it took a little force to break it free? Well the same force is needed to seat it back.

After 12 years of shooting and loading with a wooden ramrod I have only broken one. It was in the same manner that yours broke. :cursing: But my wooden ramrods in my books has had a very good track record. I don't really care for the added weight of brass so I think I'll take my chances and stick with my hickory.

I always carry a range rod, unless I'm hunting. The rod on the gun stays there. I like the handle on the end and the extra length for loading and cleaning. Most of my range rods are stainless with muzzle protectors. Have on made from hickory, and it also has a muzzle protector.

Java Man

I have some hickory ramrods that has been soaking in coal oil for 4-5 years that can be bent almost double before breaking!

TTC

When I've been on some trail shoots with my friends. I watch them packing the second rod, sometimes forgetting it and going back for it etc. I like having the one rod that always stays with the rifle.

It's not so much of a problem though when they come over to my place to shoot, we just stand in one place and make clouds. :grin:

I took advice from some of the folks here in regards to ramrods. I went out and purchased an October Country brass range rod with a muzzle guard. It was well worth the price.

Ron

I've used wood for years and never had any problems at all. Just make sure that you cross drill and pin your tip on so it won't pull off and don't force anything down the barrel with it and you should be fine.

"I've used wood for years and never had any problems at all."

Me either, I don't like metal ramrods at all, and I replace them with wood if possible. Extra weight, unattractive, and not authentic.

I use a metal "field rod" at matches so I don't ruin my wooden rod. Havent used a wooden rod too much, but not problems so far. I like what flintlock bob said about the plastic "noodle" rods. I bought one and experienced the same problem. The plastic rod is also so light it didn't help with tight loads.

Gene Perryman said:
All:

Gene

What size bore and what size ramrod are you using? That may have something to do with it if your ramrod is too small for the caliber rifle your shooting.

"Never never ever use a wooden ramrod (except for decoration) on your muzzleloading rifle. Even if it looks like it would never break, take my word for it, it will......."

I think this may have been the primary force driving the developement of firearm technology in the early to mid 19th century, for over three hundred years, the constant breaking of ramrods prevented proper warfare from being waged and ruined hunting oppertunities, and the massive piles of 3/8" hickory laying around must have been a real problem, then the over harvest of the hickory itself to keep up with the demand must be considered, with this kind of major problem the need for a better type of firearm was most definitly needed.

I use a collapsable ramrod at the range and cleaning. I use the rod that came with the gun for hunting because I do not clean rifles in the woods. I will not pull a ball in the woods. If the gun screws up bad I'll go back to camp and work on it.

TN.Frank said:
Just make sure that you cross drill and pin your tip on so it won't pull off and don't force anything down the barrel with it and you should be fine.
Wish I would have done that.Jag and rod tip stuck in barrel.Hours of frustration.Trip to this forum for advice.The experience--Priceless :haha:

All of my rifles use 7/16 diameter rods. With the exception of cleaning, I've never used anything other than a Hickory rod and have never had any problems.

Back